Hi all. I’m new to kayaking and recently bought a used tempest which came with a paddle and PFD. The boat and paddle are fine, but the PFD is way too big for me (XXL and I need a SM/MED). So I went looking for a new one last week. I tried on several that felt bad at best and then I tried on a Kokatat Ronin Pro. All I can say is wow! It felt like a pair of well-fitting gloves and the range of movement is wonderful. However, the price tag is way over my budget. In-fact my wife said that she rather I’d swim, and trust me I don’t swim that well!! Unfortunately the store did not have the standard Kokatat Ronin and Kokatat is not responding to my e-mail. I found a few on-line stores with better prices, but I have a few questions.
- Other than the rescue harness, ring, quick release and extra wedding what are the other difference between the Kokatat Ronin Pro and the standard Kokatat Ronin?
- Can I remove the ring and quick release?
- If yes, will this change how the PFD feels?
- Will it hinder the use of the PFD in any way?
- Will I get in trouble (USCG or otherwise) for wearing a rescue PDF if I cannot rescue anyone? (Remember what I said about swimming above!)
- Has anyone tried on both and can tell me what the difference in fit/feel are?
Any other information that you can pass on will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Alan