PFD riding up

I took a fair amount of care in selecting an appropriately sized PFD (based on feel and also on fit charts) to replace my old PFD (wanted more pocket space and a rear lash tab, and my old one was just, well, old). Anyway, I ended up with a Stohlquist Drifter. I like it a lot, but was practicing some stuff in the water yesterday and found that it really tries to float up on my torso. It’s not coming off over my head or anything like that. I don’t think its a danger, but it isn’t very comfortable. I have the straps tightened fairly well and the bottom clip clipped. Not sure if I should try a different PFD (probably too late to return my drifter). I don’t recall my old one doing this, or the one I had before that. I’ll have to experiment a bit next time I’m on the water but am wondering if some PFDs, even when properly fitted, just do this on some body shapes. Or maybe my expectations have become too high. I think I have seen some PFD’s with thigh straps to prevent this from happening. That doesn’t seem particularly comfortable either, although I’ve never tried them on.

I don’t like Stohlquist (and MTI) PFD’s myself for that reason – I have found the foam that they use too stiff and blocky and tending to creep up with a lot of activity. I like my Astral Abba because it’s made of a softer flexible fill that conforms to my body and doesn’t ride up. Since switching to Astral PFD’s (I have 3 different ones) I have only kept the Stohlquist as a loaner for friends I take paddling.

I used to use a strap to hold the pfd down, but not anymore. I think without a strap, the only way any of them will really stay down is if you have them pretty snug.

I find the most important strap on my Kokatat Outfit is the bottom one that sits just under my ribs. As long as I snug this up so that it can’t slip up past my ribs, I’m good to float. I can have the upper ones a little looser to allow for breathing and more importantly a deep held breath while sitting forward turned upside down.

Like Willowleaf, I wear an Astral - the YTV model - it has what they call torso-lock. The bottom strap keeps the jacket from riding up.

I think part of it is body shape. I have a kokatat but like my stohlquist trekker is comfortable. Lacks some other features. Need to try an astral PFD. I just dumped 30 lb. and that helped.

Buckle belt under YOUR belt and clip a good carabiner to a belt loop and the PFD belt. Both work for me in this day when ALL are made for kayakers and fit like a bra. I sure miss the old SEDA PFD’s!

@wildernesswebb said:
Buckle belt under YOUR belt and clip a good carabiner to a belt loop and the PFD belt. Both work for me in this day when ALL are made for kayakers and fit like a bra. I sure miss the old SEDA PFD’s!![]

Agreed. Love those old SEDAs. Currently using an Astral Ronnie for my canoeing adventures. Doesn’t have that kayak vest fit you mention. Works quite well in the hot weather, too.

Some PFDs don’t work well with some body shapes. That is why it is always best to try them on before buying. If possible, go shopping with a friend. Put the PFD on and cinch it down, then have the friend try to lift you off the floor by the shoulder straps. That should give you an idea how much it will ride up.

Some PFDs have small nylon loops to allow attachment of a crotch strap. These do not work terribly well if you are using a spray skirt, and they can be uncomfortable. It is easy to make a crotch strap out of some synthetic webbing and nylon Fastex buckles, triglides and sliders in such a way that it can be easily attached, diconnected, tightenend, and loosened. A crotch strap will keep your PFD down where it belongs. I used to use one with an Extrasport Hi-Float PFD and a Stohlquist PFD for whitewater canoeing and used to just tighten it up before the bigger rapids.

I personally think Drifter is a relatively bulky PFD. I am 5’6" with a reasonably bulky upper-body so I always end up with Large when it comes to PFDs, wetsuits and such. I ended up with Edge, which was basically the smallest area PFD in the store. I have to say it works pretty well, the skirt doesn’t push it up very much and it seems to stay put. The lower straps grab me just under the rib cage. It has to be snug but not uncomfortably tight to work. I think it I chose a Drifter it’d cover too much of my torso and ride up. The Edge seems about right. Then, of course it depends on body shape, but at 5’6" and Large I would want the smallest one in terms of area. Edge is pretty thick but it doesn’t bother me at all.![]
Another thing I found is that trying a PFD on standing up while in a store is not the same as sitting in a boat with a skirt on. If a PFD is too long the skirt may push it up. The first thing I did after buying my current PFD is to come home and sit in the boat with the skirt on.

@Sparky961 said:
I find the most important strap on my Kokatat Outfit is the bottom one that sits just under my ribs. As long as I snug this up so that it can’t slip up past my ribs, I’m good to float. I can have the upper ones a little looser to allow for breathing and more importantly a deep held breath while sitting forward turned upside down.

Same observation with Stohlquist Edge.

ditto on the bottom strap being the most important. My current stolhquist pfd rides up slightly more than my old stolhquist- makes me think some models of pfds are more likely to ride up than others.

only time I used crotch straps was with small kids where the ride up factor is very high.

the old seda jackets fit nice, but lost their bounancy pretty quick- lots of surace area since the jackets were made from small foam pieces, degraded quicker than the newer designs

Lot of good tips here. I’m also 5’6" with a bulkier upper body than in days past. I may order an Edge and check it out. REI has a good returns policy so if it doesn’t work out nothing lost. In trying PFDs on in the store, I’ve always found the side zips to be awkward, but maybe you get use to it.

" bulkier upper body than in days past…"

I suspect it’s the middle body bulk that contributes more to the problem.

@Monkeyhead said:
Lot of good tips here. I’m also 5’6" with a bulkier upper body than in days past. I may order an Edge and check it out. REI has a good returns policy so if it doesn’t work out nothing lost. In trying PFDs on in the store, I’ve always found the side zips to be awkward, but maybe you get use to it.

Hmm. I dont seem to have an issue with those unless i overtigthen them.

@Overstreet said:

Kind of like trying to get a belt to stay on a beach ball? Yes, having defined ribs definitely helps here.

upper as in above the hip bones

@Overstreet said: