PFD That Won't Ride Up

The only absolutely effective
measure against ride-up is crotch straps. Although I have not done so yet, it is possible to attach straps from the bottom of the PFS to a spray skirt, and then to have crotch straps from the underside of the sprayskirt tunnel down and under the crotch.

This is the only way. Other approaches work “sometimes.” But only straps under the crotch can prevent ride-up under all circumstances.

Astral Wondervest
I just checked on my PFD. It is a Type V Astral Wondervest.

My torso is 15 1/2 inches. I bought 10 PFDs before I found this one. They were riding up to my nose, chafing and sometimes I would be bleeding. I tightened them so tight I could barely breathe. And I was fitted by the shop owner, who is shorter than I and even spells her name the same.

Last weekend, I was paddling around and the thought came to me that I forgot my vest - it was so comfortable I forgot I was wearing it!

Hey Rex
I have had good luck with Lotus. In fact, the Lotus is very comfortable and most times I don’t know that I am wearing a pfd at all.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

Combination of factors
Body type + pfd + adjustment. You can’t do anything about the first (at least, in the short run). The third is just a matter of cinching the pfd tight enough in the right places without making it uncomfortable or difficult to breath. The latter is not trivial if you intend to paddle actively. Which brings us to the pfd per se. I paddled with a Lotus Lola for a number of years under the assumption that a pfd designed for women would be preferable. Wrong (at least for me). I now use an Astral 200 that was on sale. What a difference. The bottom sits high enough not to be pushed up by the cockpit rim and there is plenty of space below my chin and around my arms. I am sure there are other pfd’s that would also fulfill these criteria. I just haven’t tried them. But if I was a betting man (and I am actually) I would put my money on a whitewater pfd worn by playboaters.

Astral

Thanks Mark
Remember how I had such trouble feeling comfortable in your Q600? Well some of the problem was the high rear deck but a lot of the problem was my short torso. I’m looking for a pfd that will work for my non-average body type. Looks like Lotus makes some models that might work. (Lolita, Locean).

L’ocean
I use the Lotus L’ocean and have not had problems with it riding up when paddling. I am only 5’2" and paddle a T165 with 1/2" minicell pad added under the seat cover (makes it the same height as the original T165 seat height–newer models got a lowered seat).

However, if I don’t cinch it tight when IN the water, it most definitely rides up, as does any PFD that is not adjusted to be uncomfortably tight. I like to have room for breathing/rib cage expansion and frankly I just wear the PFD too loose, to preserve that. It’s too bad there isn’t a sturdy stretch-paneled PFD–I wonder why? (NOT stretch shoulder straps but stretch-stitched panels for the torso.)

I have given up on the notion of a comfortable PFD that stays put when I’m in the water.

Stohlquist BetSEA

– Last Updated: Sep-21-06 11:52 PM EST –

Short torsoed jacket. My wife has one at is comfortable for her. I have worn it also (long torso) and it is quite comfortable. There is also a "male" version of the BetSEA, I think it is called the Motion.

TheBigYaker

that’s nice. Try a long swim in class 3
whitewater. Or try thinking about physics. What would keep a PFD from slipping up, except crotch straps or some other means of connecting the PFD to the body??

Thanks Everyone
I bit the bullet and bought the Astral Tempo 200. There’s a retailer nearby that carries them. Feels good on dry land. I’ll give it the water test soon.

You’ll Likely Won’t Regret It…
use Astral in surf and white water and the occaisonal swim. Comfortable and it NEVER rides up, even in the toughest of circumstances.

sing

I looked at a BetSea for my wife, and
the foam panels were WAY too stiff. It would have been less comfortable than just letting her borrow my Sherman.

This stiffness surprised me, because my old Stohlquist Max has wonderfully flexible foam.