PH Capella Speed?

I recently got a Capella 166RM. I didn’t buy it for speed, and don’t need it to be fast, but I was curious to know how it compares to other sea kayaks in terms of speed.

Secondly, let’s say I am average in both skill and fitness. Would cruising at 4mph all day with a moderate load be a reasonable expectation?

Thanks - Sorry, I know speed is discussed too much, but I am planning a longer trip and want to estimate the number of days it might take.

No problem
For the boat. Have paddled with lots of people in Capellas and speed wasn’t a problem.

4 mph sounds doable if you are in the int range. More up to you than the kayak.

4mph

– Last Updated: Jan-19-09 1:46 PM EST –

I have the glass 167. It is firmly in the range where "most any sea kayak requires about the same effort to go 4mph". Maintaining 4.5 mph for a distance requires some work and conditioning and pushing above that is rewarded mostly with extra exertion and not much extra speed.

Mike

Thanks
Thanks folks.

I’ll plan for about 3.5 to be a bit on the conservative side. I was just thinking of hull speed, not including breaks and such. As such, I will start focusing my work-outs now, primarily directed at increasing my endurance. It seems that pulling a boat along at a moderate pace for a long time will be more efficient than really straining to squeeze out that extra mile/hour.

Thanks again.

trip planning
Is your trip solo or are you going with a group? If with a group, you will only be as fast as the slowest paddlers. As far as your paticular boat, the capella, I paddle one too and I’ve found that the conditions of the water can do a lot to how fast I can paddle. I paddle rivers mostly and in groups where others are in a wide range of different types of kayaks. In twisty, tight turns (like when I have to thread my way around downed trees in the river) I’m the slow one. Those little rec kayaks can really scoot around fast. But put me on a wide river, even with a cross breeze and ruff water, I can fly. What I trying to say is: your trip needs to include what other’s are paddling, type of water and weather conditions. Oh, and how loaded the boat is will also make a difference in speed. Make sure some of your work-up planning includes taking the boat out and paddling with it loaded with all your gear.

Thanks . . .
The trip I am planning will likely be solo, or with others who are faster than me (hopefully I don’t get passed by the keowees out there). It will be in wide open spaces, so turns won’t be an issue. Choppy waves might slow me down a bit, but the weather here never lasts, so if I can’t paddle during the day, I will be able to cover some distance in the evening.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. As usual, my question was more than amply answered.