Physical Activity Prohibition

@Rookie

Will have to watch that thing on two homes. I agree, not clear how it would be enforced. But if the Governor of Michigan has ordered it, you can assume others will think about doing it too.

I am guessing that it is strictly speaking legal once there is a State of Emergency. If it can be enforced by legal actions.

FYI, some of what I posted above is wrong about NY state. Because of new orders that were issued yesterday. I am having a little trouble keeping up. It looks like another round of rules are forthcoming, I had a couple of situations re summer activities that changed between morning and dinner yesterday.

So what changed yesterday -
Along with golf courses being closed, boat launches and even private marinas were all closed. No activities except essential ones. Up to now the actual order had not directly closed launches other than in state parks, simply had deemed recreational water activities non-essential. There is a major difference in enforcement between these two states.

Commercial fishing is still a go, and there are more family-owned operations off the east end of Long Island than most people realize. They have been challenged by problems getting fish to market as outlets and delivery contracted and have some of their forces down due to coronavirus. But the commercial aspect of the harbors/marinas is still running for fishing as long as getting food is an essential activity.

Unfortunately it looks like the virus does discriminate but not by intelligence (whatever that is).

@TomL

NY state started tracking this at some point very recently, I think it was just a matter of trying to manage too much at once that they had to catch up. But as of yesterday’s presser, Gov Cuomo announced some new test sites specifically located to serve minority communities. The greater impact on marginalized populations is quite real. Including a Navajo population in a western state.

I understand the purpose of the order but also think the politicians sitting in their ivory towers aren’t always making rational decisions. A good example is now Michigan residents cannot buy vegetable plants or seed packets for our gardens, but marijuana, alcohol, tobacco and vaping products are allowed.

Edited to add that it didn’t take long for a lawsuit to be filed:

Lots of that going on Rookie. Next door in Washington they closed down constitutionally guaranteed gun stores, while keeping pot shops and massage parlors open. They also sent people home from controlled environment middle class jobs (for their safety) then were told by the unemployment office that the grocery stores need people… Good pay, controlled environment to minimum wage and exposed to thousands of strangers for your safety……. somehow much of what they are doing makes no sense

1 Like

The Navajo Nation is under a 57-hour curfew this weekend. There may be federal assistance coming to set up bases for medical care in Kayenta and Tuba City.

@dcowell65

Details matter. If the grocery stores are doing what many are, restricting how many people can be in the store at one time, there is no risk of the thousands of people scenario you state. And the drug stores etc. I can’t find an easy reference but I would be very surprised if I did not find they are doing just that in Washington. I can’t find a scenario where people do not need to buy food.

Gun shops are a state by state decision, and states that have shut them down have largely not found a problem with legal challenges. I live in a state where that is the case, the NRA just lost its legal challenge in California. People can disagree about that but it is not a universal situation.

Sigh… off the rails again.

@sparky

Somewhat but… the solutions to reduce people being too heavily packed are here and likely to be extended for a good bit longer than is being posted right now. Lots of states have extended the shut down measures in the last 48 hours, including for recreational activities. It matters that these measures are looked at realistically. They are going to be with us for a long time. And legal parameters need to be given respect too.

I’ve been struggling with the virus for over two weeks now. The first week the symptoms were like a mild cold. The past week they have been severe. There were a few nights when I wasn’t sure if is was going to wake up in the morning. Last Wednesday evening I could not sit down for over an hour because my body was shaking and I had the feeling of impending doom. I realize how so many people are dying now. Do want you can to avoid it. Hope nobody you know gets it. And quit complaining about the small bs.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the first-person experience with COVID-19 illness. It is in the same vein as a news article I read, in which someone in quarantine described how it was NOT “just like a cold or flu.” She said she knew early on that it was different from any other sickness she’d had in her life, and that she struggled to breathe at all.

A doctor on public radio also stressed that the shortness of breath typical of it is NOT like feeling winded during exercise.

Best wishes for a full recovery!

Thank you for the reality check. I hope this post means you are getting better.

State parks in Connecticutt became crowded this wknd due to an onslaught of good weather. Not something we had a lot of trouble with up here in Saturday… but this is a clip from an article on the virus in that state. It is an indicator of what will likely happen elsewhere as warm weather comes on.

Note that they let the parking lots fill to capacity. That is likely not going to happen there again, nor is it being allowed anywhere near me that is being monitored.

“State parks at capacity
With pleasant weather on Easter Sunday, state parks filled up quickly, forcing officials to block entry to more visitors at some sites.
As parking lots reached capacity, the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection tweeted that Penwood State Park in Bloomfield, Sleeping Giant State Park in Hamden and Talcott Mountain State Park in Simsbury were among the parks closed to more visitors.”

I had a similar experience last Saturday. Went out early while the air temp was still chilly to avoid crowds. But by time I was ready to take out, there was a group of 8 people blocking the ramp. I politely asked them make room so I could pass through carrying my kayak while keeping a safe distance, but some of them replied with offenses. Very well… I started coughing. They were gone in a couple of seconds.

1 Like

Oh yeah…That’s so much more considerate than answering back with similar verbal offenses.

I’ll do that next time.

Thanks. I’m feeling better

When people who had survive cancer or a car accident used to say ’ they were lucky’ to survive or that their prayers had been answer because they survived I used to think ‘wait a minute you weren’t lucky’ because you had a cell mutate into cancer or God allowed you to get into that accident. I now know where they are coming from. How stupid of me.

We went to check out the state launch on a lake a mile from our house yesterday afternoon, and it had maybe 10 cars & trucks in the lot, but the ramp was clear. The state had a boating officer there sitting in the entrance, but no reason to need him.

Today, however, is going to be another story. First really warm day of spring. We went at 8 AM, and the lot was maybe a quarter full. It was slightly over half full at 10 when we left.

I suspect there’s going to be an issue there this afternoon. 2 years ago, a boating officer was attacked by an irate boater who had to wait in line to get into the lot, because it was overcrowded, and the state had closed the parking lot to incoming boats until one would leave – then one could go in. I was there, and came out right when the police were dealing with it, and someone screamed at me for being a paddler and taking up “their” parking. I just smiled at him and went home.

Today might be a bad situation, especially with people needing space around them at the ramp.

I am fearing some cutbacks around here as the weather improves. I was out at a local state park yesterday on a trial where I had encountered no one ten days ago. This trail is off a dirt road that runs the back side. Just a week ago even the trails off the paved parking lot were being used with commendable social distancing and the few people on the trail had masks at the ready.

But the trails have started drying out from the slosh pit condition, the weather is warmer and the sun is out. Yesterday the trail from ten days ago was too loaded for my comfort. I had to step aside and pull my mask up twice on the way up and five times on the way down. I was the only person in all of that, including family groups and a bunch of 10 11 year old kids, who even had a mask with me. Only one person in the whole lot, we conversed across the width of the trail because he had a really neat dog, mentioned regret at not having a mask.

I drove down the parking lot above a rear launch point for the main pond, which also communicates with some trails. A week ago there were three cars in that lot. Yesterday there were 18 or so and it was more like 75% full.

Good weather is going to be a real problem. I expect the park rangers to start monitoring the trails etc and stopping people. Being in NY, the confrontations will likely not get as scary as are showing up in open carry states. But if I want to do a lot of this stuff, I probably need to think about getting up way earlier.