Physical Activity Prohibition

delete

1 Like

Whoa there… You’re blowing my mind with this incredible insight.

…while at the same time entirely missing the point.

As things are opening up down South, the weather is great and folks are flocking outdoors with the relaxed restrictions. Unfortunately, too many are acting without regard to social distancing with the ability to get out. Hope we do not see a relapse.

Luckily the sun is shining brightly and unfortunately (at least for me) the humidity is soaring as temperatures rise.

Sure…but remember y’all thought we’d die when Jacksonville beaches opened up fo exercise two weeks ago. Testing has increased. New cases have gone down and we are still alive. Our statewide openings exclude the hard hit Miami, Dade and other South Florida areas. But their cases are down too. Statewide testing rate is now 8.3% positive. That of course means the other 91.7% are healthy.

Perhaps an even stronger second wave will be what it takes for more people to take things seriously.

Unlikely though. You really can’t fix “stupid”.

Best you can do is protect yourself and do your best to protect those you care about. Those who don’t care can fend for themselves.

1 Like

Don’t forget to factor in the delays between infection and being symptomatic, plus the delays in testing, plus the delays in getting those numbers out through the media. The only thing that testing is good for is giving a delayed picture of the amount of virus in the population. This could reflect the situation a few days ago, maybe a week ago? Who knows. Someone will tell us a few years from now.

During that delay, exponential spread can happen undetected.

Governments are relaxing restrictions mostly because they know they will lose control if they don’t. Yes, things are looking better but that DOESN’T MEAN THINGS ARE OK.

Heavily updated because I tried it without enuff coffee in me.

Florida’s GOVERNOR mayor stopped talking reports from county medical examiners of virus deaths from county officials within the last week. Those numbers not being put into the total count. Link to an article below.

1 Like

“Florida mayor” ???..We are still getting death reports. You information is flawed.

Oops! Meant Governor.

Published April 29. If this is wrong then it needs to be clarified, this is the same story I have seen in other places.

delete

@ppine
I cannot figure out who you feel the need to advise. I and everyone else I know has been doing what you suggest as much as possible for over a month now.

There are situations and areas where avoiding crowds is easier, and some where it is harder. Living in a more developed area makes the search for isolation more challenging. Do you need clarification on that?

@Celia… He is in Nevada. Not far from Lake Tahoe

As in all things paddling location location location.

Weekdays are not the haven from crowds that they used to be, with so many unemployed and kids not in school.

1 Like

Since the weather improved around here, the diff between weekdays and weekends is possible versus not to avoid an excess of crowds. Still within the strict limits, but not enjoyable when half your time is spent stepping on or off the path.

delete

Stay inside, spare the police, don’t play with matches, spare the fire dept. Don’t go for a hike spare emergency personnel. Surrender your guns for public safety. Stay inside, as a favor to government employees after all, whose in charge? Who really matters here?

I’m happy with most people staying home. Too many stories of stupid people “needing rescue” for all the wrong reasons.

@ppine

I was stating the reality for a lot of people who cannot easily access major woods w/o needing a trail head or water w/o launches due to those alternate spots being under private ownership.

In some urban areas the solution is to block streets to traffic in order to create a big enough walking space.

It appears these are scenarios outside of your experience or assumptions. But they are still true for many including people who paddle.

1 Like

Look harder.
Let me spell it out for you. Finding places to paddle often requires creativity.
Don’t expect to find put-ins everywhere you want to go.
Ask permission from private land owners.
Know your State’s laws about public use on waterways,(high water marks, flood plains, etc.)
Ask permission on public lands with no paddling facilities like historic parks.
Check ownership maps for public lands in the middle of private where you can launch.
Paddle where no one has paddled before.
Be aware of irrigation diversions and low head dams and how to recognize them…
Look out for barbed wire across streams, Bring fence pliers.
Sometimes you can get dropped off if there is no where to park.
Sometimes an engine can allow you to return to your point of origin by going upstream.
Sometimes you can paddle upstream by eddy hopping.
Stay under the radar by paddling at off times. Avoid holidays.
Sometimes you need to pay for people to watch your rig while you are gone.
Sometimes it would be good to have bolt cutters.
I have been running rivers for 60 years. sometimes in places no one ever paddles.
Stop whining and go find a place to paddle.

1 Like

@ppine
If you had bothered to ask I would have told you I already know of places to paddle around here extant from the restrictions. And have indicated already doing a lot of what you are saying.

Above actually has a couple of decent ideas that might work in a region south of me, with some different private ownership issues. Would have been OK if it had only taken one response for people who might want to think on trying it.