Pickerel Lake today

I was in the Ann Arbor area to see some friends today so I took a canoe along and hit a couple of my old paddling spots. I was going to paddle on the nice gentle Huron River but it was way up (last pic) so I went to Pickerel Lake in the Pinckney Recreation Area. Pickerel connects to Crooked Lake where there is State Park camping and there are a couple other quiet ponds that you can get to. Saw a bunch of Sandhill cranes. Nice day, very little wind and a high around 80.

Gee, when I saw the title I thought you had paddled Pickerel Lake up here, which is part of the Inland Waterway. Our Pickerel connects to a Crooked Lake, too, which flows into the Crooked River.

Nice photos and interesting picnic area.

@Rookie said:
interesting picnic area.

Designed specifically for paddlers.

@Sparky961 said:

@Rookie said:
interesting picnic area.

Designed specifically for paddlers.

:smiley:

@Rookie said:
Gee, when I saw the title I thought you had paddled Pickerel Lake up here, which is part of the Inland Waterway. Our Pickerel connects to a Crooked Lake, too, which flows into the Crooked River.

Nice photos and interesting picnic area.

had me going for a while also (used to vacation in the area (the ‘northern’ set) ).
I had to google it to prove to myself.

@raisins said:

had me going for a while also (used to vacation in the area (the ‘northern’ set) ).
I had to google it to prove to myself.

We have the Black Hole between Pickerel and Crooked Lakes. Ever paddle through it?

@Rookie said:
We have the Black Hole between Pickerel and Crooked Lakes. Ever paddle through it?

we used to call it the ‘Devils Punchbowl’ (this was close to 50 years ago), didn’t know it had a ‘real’ name - ‘Black Hole’ seems to fit.

Nice Pix… But my mindset was Pickerel Lake Quetico ( Ontario) of course… and was expecting pix of cold water on a massive lake, ice and maybe a blackfly!
They gotta stop duplicating names!

OK, next time I will go somewhere with a more exotic name. Maybe South Lake or Green Lake. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, on the duplication of names, I think there are many Pickerel Lakes and Crooked Lakes in Wisconsin, and surely elsewhere, so I Googled the name of a Wisconsin lake that I remembered which seemed pretty unique: “Dead Horse Slough”. I’ll be darned if there’s not a lake with that same name in Minnesota!