Picking up Guide 147, what accessories?

I’m picking up my guide 147 next week and I was wondering what canoe accessories I should get to make my trips more comfortable.

I live very close to local rivers and streams; I’m getting the guide because it can take the abuse I’m going to deal out to and it’s in my price range.

I’ll mostly be doing solo canoeing with 1-2 dogs, I’m 6ft 185lbs

What “must have” accessories specifically for the canoe should I pick up?

One thing I was thinking of is a seat back or pad for me?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A big sponge
is a absolute must.

A painter for the front and back is good also.

cheers,

JackL

Don’t buy the Sitbacker seat
Its most uncomfortable. I’m considering the the Crazy Creek, looks more comfortable.

Do you know for sure you prefer sitting?
Maybe you want to try paddling while kneeling. Many of us who kneel while paddling actually prefer it. If you go that route, you will want some kind of foam knee pad to put on the floor.

Dont’ forget some kind of PFD (life jacket) and a spare paddle! A drybag for your spare clothes is nice too.

Each of us is different
Some kneel some sit, some prefer a seat back, some don’t. I prefer a gel seat pad but no back rest. Once you have paddled some you will know what you prefer. The must haves have already been stated; PFD, bilge sponge, spare paddle, dry bag. I also carry a small anchor (but then I fish) and a whistle (in case i need to draw attention for help and my cell phone won’t work - I have never had to use it, however.)

I always recommend setting up a
non-whitewater boat for both sitting and kneeling. In our tandem, I actually spend about a third of the time with one leg out and one leg under. I use a Voyageur pad for kneeling comfort, and occasionally I may sit on it if my butt has seen enough of the seat edge.

It is probably required …

– Last Updated: May-10-08 11:28 PM EST –

....... by your state to carry an extra emergengy floating device such as a throw cushion or ring , the cushion can serve as a multi purpose item ......... for the ropes , do yourself a favor and get 3/8" or 1/2" braided at least 20'-25' long on each end (if you just make a loop on one end , it becomes an instant attachment to anything by putting the other end through the loop and pulling snug , like the hand carry at each end deck , removes just as easily ) , the ropes can also become a multi purpose item such as fastening canoe to vehical for transport ( I prefer 1/2" , feels better in the hand ) ........ a good flashlight with extra batteries is a nice item in your always kit (the small tactical mega lites are great , cost a few pennies more , but worth it ) ........ another simple and inexpensive item is a standard marine bow light (red and green) that is battery powered and clamps on , you may want to stay out after official sunset on a body of water that also allows powered boats such as a lake , resiviour , tidal tributary etc. , it will be required on waters like those after sunset , which is a great time to be on the water ........ a cup holder is convenient (the old type that used to sit in a rolled down car window are cheap and slip over the gunnel) ........ a plastic milk crate is a good item to carry stuff in a stay organized ......... a light weight storm suit can be a bonus so you don't have to run to shelter from a summer rain , even a cheapie is worth having on board when rains could be expected .......... I love my Carlisle standard all wood paddle (cost about $55.) , it's very light , smooth , fits the hand fantastic and much tougher than I thought it would be (your spare paddle should be around 4" longer or shorter than your main paddle depending on the mains length you chose)........ and here's a thought for you to consider and maybe try to see if you like it this way , when solo , still paddle from the stern seat , add a couple 50 lb. sand bags up in the bow vee for ballast (as opposed to sitting in the bow seat and running the canoe backwards) ......... personally I can't imagine having a back rest while paddling , seems it would always be in my way or rubbing on my back somewhere , but having a sling type back rest (flexable cloth fabric ) that you can just slip up onto the back when desired for resting might be good (don't decide right away but look at all types awhile and start without a back rest) ........ in case this will be your first full fledged canoe experience and you aren't aware that you can paddle on one side of the canoe almost all the time , force yourself to start out paddling only on one side right from the start , the J stroke will do the trick 95% of the time , a modified J which ends in a little extra ruddering action just before the paddle pulls up out of the water goes hand in hand with a standard rythm J stroke , by paddling only on one side you'll keep things in the boat a lot drier too , lol , I believe everyone will switch sides occassionally for one reason or another , but single side paddling is the way to go , not 2 stroke this side and one stroke that side back and forth ........ so everyone has confirmed the PFD you should have and I will also , get a real good one right away , test it's fit in the store or wherever you get it , make sure it is very comfortable when fitted tight like it should be , and excuse the capitols ALWAYS WEAR IT when in the boat , just make it a habbit from the start , chances are you'll never need it but look at the good example you'll be setting to others ......... after one or two times out on brief excursions , go for a long run that takes all day out and back from morning till evening , stretch your wings right away , don't wait !! ......... sorry for the length of the post , but I think the time it took to write down and for you to read was worth it ......... ps., some like sponges , some like a good ol rag , I think the rag is more multi purpose ..

Thanks!
Wow all I can say is thank you so much for all the replies, nice to know there are so many helpful people out there willing to help out a newbie just getting into the paddling scene.

I think I’ll hold off on any unneeded accessories and try to figure out my solo paddling stlye and then work from there. Thanks Again!

A couple modifications

– Last Updated: May-12-08 8:57 AM EST –

Some good ideas here, but don't use sand for ballast (or any other dense material) unless you don't mind losing your canoe if it tips. 50 pounds of sand will take the average canoe right to the bottom in a hurry if swamped. If you need ballast, use water in a sealed-top bucket or dry bag. That also eliminates the need to haul the weight to and from the river or lake. As for required equipment, every state that adheres to Coast Guard regulations (and that's every state that's come up on these boards in the 5 or 6 years I've been here) requires a wearable PFD, but not a throwable device (they ARE required on boats longer than 16 feet, but there is an exemption for canoes and kayaks of such length). For night lights, a white light is required that can be turned on "in time to avoid a collision". Red-green navigation lights don't serve much purpose on a boat that is essentially stationary in relation to the power boats you wish to avoid, which is probably what the Coast Guard was thinking when they made the rule (you can use such lights if you want though).

Check safety requirements
Wyoming requires every boat over 16’ MUST carry at Type IV PFD, in addition to those worn.

I know your boat is less than that, but check state and local regs.