Pics/Thoughts - Surf Paddle Gear

Pretty cool … how smooth is the
surface of the Mako … makes all the difference.

P.S. The Chinook Boxes and Footstrap plugs are the best.

Not so good

– Last Updated: Oct-26-05 12:03 AM EST –

The kayak has seen some battle damage.

Try this pic....

http://community.webshots.com/photo/267163043/268096375cXiwjp

Gotta be almost scratchless if you want
to tape and spray those checks on it, otherwise the paint will migrate under and look cheesy. Bring it by anytime if you want .

I think some full ones dissolving to faded ones 18" back would look cool.

Faded effect ? How do you do that ?
When I originally was thinking about doing this I had only seen a picture of the kayak and it was red. I thought the original colors for the fighter group were red on black from an old black and white photo but I found out it was not the right squadron. I’m thinking it’s going to take about 3 pounds of paint to cover the ugly faded orange, not sure looks are worth the weight. I also like Tim Straz’s (sp) orca like paint job. Not sure I want to look like a marine mamal when I surf Central California though.

Were you picturing doing the entire
boat ? From the plane shot I figured you wanted to do from the bow back a bit.

The checks up front then fading into the regular color of the boat would be pretty cool IMO. Not just fade from one direction, picture the last few aft sort of fading from the middle of the square out to the outer perimeter while keeping the outer line sharp and clear … just sort of ghost the last ones but keep the ‘memory’ of a lost check there still.

Yes I think I can visualize that

I did a photoshop paint job last winter when I bought the boat. The prop cowling on the P51 is in bands, so that would start at the nose kick the length of the rocker, then about about two feet of checkerboard, then the solid black like the no-glare on the P51 around the cockpit and a yellow chevron on the tail, it’s kind of gaudy and would take forever.

So I would have to work on getting the surface smoothed over. I might bring it by some weekend for an opinion on how to smooth out the repairs a bit.

More Ski Surgery
The addition of sharpened rails on the waveski really helped improve the carving speed. I still have this unsatisfied need for speed on this ski though. So, I went ahead and dremeled out the bottom and shaped double concaves from the mid point back towards the stern. My understanding is that double concaves will channel water faster towards the rear and provide lift as the concaves flatten out near the stern. This will defeat the “sucking action” that a single concave which this ski has. Single concave will plane up to speed faster but will also hit the wall sooner with the sucking action. The double concaves will speed up the water flow by breaking up the sucking action. The possible downside is that ski will be a bit harder to turn. It may also be tippier.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/482846986/487889845AReyFB

http://community.webshots.com/photo/482846986/487890691bcYmZw

I’ll find out this weekend as we expect to get another bout of storm surf. If the double concaves work, it’ll be great. If not, I prove once again why some men should never be given sharp power tools like a Dremel.

sing

Channels
If you are going to put in Channels you should just buy a Cobra Strike. ;> It probably is going to feel different turning for sure. I wonder sometimes if you are not going to turn into the next east coast waveski designer.

Doh!!!
Read this:

“The Cobra Strike is a radical surf machine designed to ride waves. It is forgiving for novices, challenging for intermediates and it totally rips for experts.

The Cobra Strike has two revolutionary built-in ridges running lengthwise underneath along the rail that increase speed and improve turning. Its low volume reduces drag and the slim, narrow profile and exaggerated rocker increase mobility. The Cobra Strike has a two position adjustable foot plate with foot straps to adapt to paddler’s leg lengths. To put it simply, it shreds. Pictured with optional paddle, lo-back backrest, paddle leash and leg straps. Hatches not recommended.”

Why am I so stupid to tinker with a waveski when I could have bought the perfect “surf machine” at 1/3 the cost of a brand new waveski. No modifications needed as the Strike performs in every possible way I want from small and mushy to large and hollow waves, i.e. “fast but maneuverable, stable but incredible carving/edging, relatively lightweight but bombproof construction, fits paddlers from 90 to 225 lbs…”

Heck, I give the Cobra Strike a 10/10 review… And, I haven’t even bought or ridden it yet!!!

sing

LOL
Well I wouldn’t go that far. But it looks like great minds think a like.

Radical Surf Machine…I Don’t Think So
I think the Cobra folks have been given to a fair degree of hyperbole when it comes to describing the performance of the Strike. I will say that for me, it was a great “starter" boat and I had a good time with mine. But after a year or so, I began to wonder if there might be another step or two up on the performance ladder. I traded the Strike for a Kaos, thinking I was taking that step…but alas, it performed at roughly the same level. It was fun and all…but I didn’t feel I was really being challenged.

One day, Steve Boehne suggested I try one of his Infinity wave skis. Well…that was the challenge I was looking for. I stopped by his shop on the way home and ordered a 9’ 6" Stinger. I’ll have to admit that at the outset, I did feel overmatched and at times, sorry that I had left the comfort of my plastic SOT. In fact I switched back and forth for several months until I began to feel comfortable on the ski. That was three Infinity skis ago…so what does that tell you?

So when I read the description of the Strike, I kind of laughed. I really think the Infinity wave skis provide all the performance features noted in the Cobra write-up…plus a lot more speed and maneuverability in a far lighter package. The fact that each ski is custom shaped to fit the individual rider’s physical dimensions and desired performance level, really represents a logical step for someone wishing to kick it up a couple of notches.

Lookin’ good
Hey, you’re becoming quite the glass master! That ski is looking really good! How did you determine the length and width of the concaves? Also, how deep are the concaves?

Larry and I are looking to get out tomorrow up here in ME. Looks like we will be blessed with surf AND sun!

Tim

Very Sunny here this AM
Air Temps in low 60s. Got out for about three hours of surfing on small fun waves, the water was very clear about 63 F and tons of schools of fish are in the shallows today. Pellicans , dolphins, large fish and large sand sharks(?) having a feast , pretty cool watching the pelicans and dolphins.

Beginner Waveskier Advice: Don’t shut your waveski seatbelt buckle on your paddling glove finger, just as a wave is about to close out on you.

Well…
I looked at my Venom and have seen some of the other Megas with channel/concaves that run near and parallel to the center line. My red ski has (true) double concaves that span from center fin box to side fin box. All begin somewhere around the front of the seat and than gets quickly shallower at the end just before the stern. This is what gives a little lift to the tail at speed. I assume if the concave runs all the way through the stern, it will act more as “channels.” The depth for the Venom is almost 1/4" and about 3/16" for the red ski. My depths are not as precise and between the two here and there. I basically used a shaped piece of minicell for a sanding block to get the initial shape and depth of 1/4". I then used a heavy cardboard cut to shape to spread the underlying epoxy/filler fairing mix. As I added two layers of glass/epoxy, the channels got more a little more muted and shallow.

Will see tomorrow. I know we got swells coming in. I am just hoping that they good enough size, say 3-5’, to really see how the ski will take off or not. Depends on how fast and far that storm moves away from us overnight. It’s actually snowing right now outside but the forecast is for near 60, sunny and moderate offshore winds of about 15 knots in the Boston area.

sing

Concaves
So, how did they work out?

Great surf up here in Maine today. Larry was ripping it in the Jenness. I surfed the Evolution. Good thing it was 60 degrees.

Hey Seadart, over here in Maine, we don’t wear gloves until the air temperature is in the 40s and the water drops below 50 degrees. :wink: Water never gets above 60 degrees here. If it did we’d see some dorsal fins swimming around though! :wink:

Tim

Good Waves Down Here Too!
I just got back. We had 4-5’ early on, dropping down to about 2-4’ after noon time. 10-11 second intervals, sunshine, nice peeling shoulders to rip on… What more can one ask for at the end of October!

The double concaves… Well, for sure the ski got stiffer in the tracking. Enough so that I had to move the thruster fins up a bit to loosen it up a bit again. With speed, it’s hard to say since it was easy to stay on the shoulders. I hope the stiffer tracking may have also meant an incremental speed increase.

Unfortunately, halfway through the session, ALexander and I had a collison. Didnt’ realize until I got out of the water that part of my rail got cracked and further ahead a slash went through the glass so that the ski took on some water. Sean/Boston noted the major damaged areas very much matched up to the distance between two fins. Tell you what… I getting alot of practice with glassing and filling. :frowning:

sing

Damn!
Glad you and Alexander are ok! Larry and i almost collided on a chest plus wave today. I had dropped in near the peak and was making a screaming right hand bottom turn, when Larry, who was looking to his right down the wave, dropped in. I was able to carve up the face and out the spot where he dropped in. It was close. We also had a couple board surfers who had the knack of paddling out looking down at their surfboards. They would paddle right into you if you didn’t say anything.

On Concaves, I’m not sure if you would gain much speed from adding the concaves. I use them on the Jenness to help create extra bite in conjunction with the thruster fins. If you need speed, flat is fast.

With all this glassing experience, you will have to pick up a planer and a block of foam and start making your own skiis.

Tim

The “Plus” Side, Maybe…

– Last Updated: Oct-31-05 5:26 AM EST –

the draining of water from the gash seemed interminable. I opened up the gash, drilled 3 holes around the ski (will be covered up later), and vacuum wrapped around the gash and sucked out a huge amount of water. I suspect some of the water had been sitting in the ski since I cracked the tail earlier in the summer.

The ski should be at least 6-8 oz lighter after repairs, given the amount of water that came out.

I guess I can take my time to do this. No forseeable waves in the near future, except maybe SW winds on Friday.

sing

It takes a long time
to get the water out of the foam, I hang the ski so gravity can flush it out of the hole and also leave in a place where it can get some warm sun but not too hot. I’ve heard that if you have forced air heating you can hang it over the vent and get warm dry air blowing near the hole.

Set up a fan to blow across the top
if the crack / hole … that was across the surface, not right at it. The air passing over it draws out the moisture … works unbelieveably well.

If using a vacume make sure you have an ‘intake’ for the air otherwise you are setting yourself up for at least one atmosphere of pressure 14psi !!!

Think imploded, crumpled board in the morning ( styrene blanks the worst)if the board your bag did not have any leaks or the boad a crack somewhere else.