Pics/Thoughts - Surf Paddle Gear

I’ve Drilled Holes
into ski to allow air intake. The big gash is on one of the rails. I have that gash sitting at the bottom and have duct taped plastic and shop vac hose in place. There are two drilled holes in the back of the ski, one near the nose and another right on rail on the other side. These holes are 1/16".

I ran the the vac about 15 minutes and then stopped for awhile and then resumed again. Each time, gravity helped by and settling the trapped water near the gashed rail. I would vac until the water is barely coming out and then stop the vac to let gravity go at it again.

I think, after work tonite, I’ll vac one more time and I think the draining job should be done.

sing

Thought for the day …
http://www.niceness.org/surf/images/girl_drop2.jpg

Ya Know…
I facing like 5 months of cold weather. Even my 4/3 with .5 mm body shirt underneath is barely cutting it. You are showing me some pretty surfin’ babe barely dressed…

On serious side, don’t know if it’s my imagination, but I am seeing a lot more females surfers this year than in previous years.

sing

need new paddle
lost paddle this weekend in surf

hadn’t even made it out, was in process of paddling out had not got belt buckled and got dumped held boat and paddle disapeared. This is a first for me usualy they float and hang around but this one disappeared. It was an aluminum shaft with plastic blades a cheap replacment for last broken paddle.

Anyway need another surf paddle by the end of the month. Don’t want the hassle of putting it together so need it pre-assembled.

was looking at werner powerhouse any thgoughts comments. Onno paddles look nice but definatley need paddle in 3 weeks.

Of note in waveski I have a hard time making it out when there is onshore wind, seems like constant battle with foam/whitewater. I can buck over it most of the time but end up worn out and pushed back to shore or get tired and decide to catch reform and back at shore.

thanks

eugene

Hard To Beat Werner

– Last Updated: Nov-01-05 9:10 AM EST –

with immediate availability and in different sizes down to 185 cm. Also available in 30 or 45 degree offsets. If you're taller, Big Spoons is someting to consider. I like the feel of that better than the Werner. I think the smaller size is 191 cm (aside from several shorter prototypes floating around).

Paddling out -- obviously onshore wind can make getting out harder, especially with decent size waves. Are you bunny hopping over the waves? I used to try to pierce the waves 'cause that's what I do in a surf kayak. What I found is that I take a body beating without the deck for protection. Oncoming foam pile and wind would make it even more difficult to pierce. I try to accelerate right to the edge of the oncoming foam pile, lean back to get the tip up and quickly lean foward to climb over (minimizing getting flipped a$$ over head). Usually (I am not thinking about it) one blade is immediately bracing or catching to pull me through the last bit of the foam pile.

If a wave is just about to break over me, I do what I do in a surf kayak. I lean as far forward as possible in a tuck position and try to spear through with the paddle blade leading the way. If I try to stay upright, I usually take a big hit and get squashed. Even if I go over in a back loop, in a tuck position, at least I don't get the wind knocked out of me.

sing

This weekend
I saw a lady who really impressed me. Late 30s early 40s maybe. She was apparently from out of town and her friends had taken her to the beach to teach her how to surf on a foam board. My guess is she weighed about 350 lbs and was about 5’6. She stood up on about her second try and was ripping down the line. Her friends were amazed. The bald tatooed surf bums were awe struck. She was smiling like a grade school kid at the circus. They could not get her out of the water. She was truely stoked. (My first attempt at standing on a board was rated as pathetic.) Wish I had my camera along.