Pics VS Video: The Good, The So-So, and The Ugly

Another illustration of the difference between pics and video (depending what you are intenting to communicate). The first video is really a series of still pics of a sea play kayak in development - the Surge. The lines of the kayak look REALLY good for the intention, but video shows nothing… :frowning:

The second video shows real potential of the Surge kayak to fulfil intention. But there really weren’t any great long rides with good cutbacks. Is it the mediocre waves, the skill of the paddler, or the boat itself? Have to wait for a future video to find out!

The lines of the Surge remind of the lines of Sterling kayaks.

sing

Just a pretty picture. This sight brought a smile this morning.

Belated Happy Mothers’ Day to the paddling Pcom Moms!

sing

3 Likes

Came across this video of some serious “old school” kayak surfing with a slalom boat, the precurser to the “international class” (IC) surf boats of today. Lots of the flair rely on moves off enders, as opposed to the current moves that are more cutbacks and air oriented. Pretty cool but dated manuevers that flowed from long slender displacement (rounder) hulls of yore, as opposed to the planing hulls, rails and fins of today’s surf kayaks.

Enjoyed watching this maestro of old style wave riding! :+1::love_you_gesture:

sing

2 Likes

Bravo to the the maestros of old school!!!

Interesting tidbit of ww rodeo and surf kayaking lineage.

sing

2 Likes

I love the videos by these guys. Beautifully shot and edited; short to the point; and with good techniques presented. They make you want to visit the Great Lakes and take in some some serious rough water kayak play!

sing

3 Likes

So, I am not a paddler into SPEED performance. Rather, I am much more into play performance. Nevertheless, I found myself drawn into and appreciating this video discussing surfski stability and progression. Probably because I remember 20 years ago when I was deeply into Greenland paddling and hanging out with the Walden Pond Scum that met weekly at Walden Pond to practice technique. I had my own self built SOF, at 17’x17", which was quite narrow and low volume. I felt quite comfortable in that boat and didn’t fear the instability because, when I capsized, I easily rolled myself back up. Being confident of that made me more relaxed and actually more stable in the narrow SOF.

Walden Pond also attracted a small contingent of surfski racers who became familiar and friendly with the Greenland paddlers. I had an opportunity to try several times the racing waveskis. Each and every time, I was able to make maybe 3 or 4 strokes before falling over. I was shocked and also appreciative that I was NOT into surfski racing. LOL! Never gave it much thought after that experience, until I came across this video. Really appreciate the clear information and also gaining some retrospective understanding!

sing

4 Likes

Fascinating video. Thanks for posting.

Although this applies primarily to surfskis, his message applies to kayaking in general. I agree with his comment about the difficulty paddlers have in breaking bad habits. His comment regarding the relationship between how length and width of the boat contribute to speed, as well the part played by technique and paddle is interesting. Very nice video.

1 Like

What I appreciate is his reinforcement that 90% of performance hinges on the paddler and his/her conditioning and skill set. One is better of training (or “fixing”) that before seeking “technological” solution through a “higher performance” boat that could possibily provide a 5-10% advantage, provided one has the capacity to take advantage of that. Without requisite skills, the latter approach can actually backfire and lead to bad technique development.

But, of course, a lot of us are tempted by lure of a quicker route with something we can buy. As a “gear hound” myself, I have to be a little more self-aware to not fall into that trap (too often)!

sing

2 Likes

@sing agree. I initially looked for a lighter faster boat. When the option I looked at was not available. I focused on paddling technique and effciency. That proved to be the winning combination for me. Now if I decide to invest in a faster boat, my improved technique will easily transfer to a better platform.

1 Like

Right! And he backed it up with solid numbers.

1 Like

This was last month just playing around with the drone and I thought my stroke looked way too choppy and high.

Anybody wish to give me some free advice?

Also I have no idea the length my paddle should be on either boat.

Also I think my body usually has more rotation and maybe I’m stiff because I know he is trying to get the shot.:expressionless:

2 Likes

Beautiful paddling venue. The drone captured that nicely.

Regarding your paddle stroke, it’s not bad. Could use a little more rotation. Think of pushing your top hand across to the midway point of your body. This encourages more rotation, whereas if you don’t cross the body with your top hand, there is more tendency to pull more with the bottom hand.

Also, if you want to use a higher stroke (and/or faster cadence), you could go a shorter (minus 10-15 cm) paddle with a high angle blade that is shorter and wider.

FWIW.

sing

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to type that out!

I’ll work on it.:+1:t3:

1 Like

Here’s a short video clip that illustrates that rotation well

2 Likes

Here is quick illustration of “top arm” movement:

sing

1 Like

that is very helpful! :+1:t3:

1 Like

mohaveflyer I really enjoyed the footage. Great use of stills and video in a beautiful place. The whole thing had a nice flow as did your own stroke. Your cadence was up, low angle paddling but you really had a nice rhythm going and looked fluid and not stressing the joints. I think there are many ways to paddle. I wish I could paddle that well!

1 Like

What a nice thing to say.

I was so happy to get all the tips, some in messages.

We have some books but haven’t read them and basically just winging it but now I’m curious about paddle size and efficient form.

We are just now getting into the drone so we don’t know what we are doing there either.

Maybe I’ll start a thread about drone shots of kayaks because I only today saw an image someone here posted looking down at boats in Malta.

Another chuckle inducing (reality based) video from Chris King/Small Craft Advisory. Dumping beaches are tough. My rocky homebreak is very steep at high tide and a rip current runs right along the shoreline into a boulder jetty and out to sea. So, I have had my share of hilarity, beatdown and waveski repair to identify with the video!

sing