Picture yourself here

45°26’13.67" N 12°19’57.54" E

but kayaking is illegal at this time for paddlers except on a tour.

Bay of Kotor, Montenegro, a deep fjord off the Adriatic Sea. Connected a few years ago with a US family who loved the area so much they bought a vacation cottage on the bay and keep folding kayaks there. Had invited me to join them in the future and I have yet to take them up on that.

images-1
images-2
images-3
images

2 Likes

Disguise it as a gondola.

Make it happen! The Keys are my favorite place to paddle. I haven’t been to Curry Hammock SP but pretty much anywhere down there is amazing.

I have to add the Keys to my list. I was there decades ago but had forgotten how amazing it was. I’d need to catch up on the special wildlife considerations, as I know nothing about aligators, manatees, dolphins, pythons, sharks, orbs, Floridians…, and what to do in case of encounters.

@Otterway most of the mentioned critters won’t bother you at all. Do need to keep an eye out for rogue boat operators but generally staying in shallow water (which is in abundance here) will keep you away from most, at least those in the larger boats.

People always ask about alligators, snakes, crocodiles etc. They really all want nothing to do with you and are no threat unless you do something dumb. Dolphins are fun and if you’re lucky will come over to check out your kayak for a minute. Frankly the critter that scares me the most as a paddler are the manatees - especially if you are in a quiet, fast sea kayak it is easy to sneak up on them by accident (they are almost impossible to see) and then you will learn not only what a depth charge looks like when it goes off, but how fast these very large animals can actually move! Finally, take the bugs seriously - no see ums and mosquitoes are abundant near the waters edge in the morning and evening and can make your life miserable (especially the no see ums). Bug spray or a Thermacell are wonderful.

1 Like

I agree with what you said.

For Otterway no-see-ums and mosquitoes at the southern coasts can be horridness at times. Head nets, Deet, Thermacells, mosquito coils, and baby oil can be essential supplies. A smoky fire where legal also helps. I think the black mangrove smoke is an effective repellent if I recall correctly. An onshore wind is a blessing when camping on the beach. The really big 10’ plus gators should be respected. Just leave them alone. They have never been a problem when I have paddled around them. Just watch where you step when it comes to snakes, sandspurs, and cactus in the dunes. Also avoid stepping on the black sea urchins with the long spines when wading.

sharks…don’t swim with the bait schools
Orbs…huh? …oh sure…stay out of Cassadaga and there shouldn’t be a problem with “orbs”.
Floridians… this time of year the average recreational boater, kayak or power, will not be out. If you are in south Florida, or central Florida chances are you will meet more northerners and Canadians that are seasonal or recently moved here…

PS…raccoons…if you kayak camp in the Everglades be on the look out for raccoons. Assuming there are some left after the python invasion, the raccoon is the great thief of water in the islands along the waterway. They will tear up a hatch cover for water vs food. There isn’t much fresh water in the glades.