Pimp My Kayak Ideas?

We’re doing our 2nd annual Pimp My Kayak clinic in Kansas City March 3rd. People bring their kayaks, paddleboards, and canoes to a warehouse and do DIY upgrades and enhancements, we have a cookout and beers on the rooftop overlooking the Missouri River, and just have a good time helping each other with projects.

I’m looking for ideas for myself and friends. I’d love to see what anyone here has added or enhanced on their boats or boards. What’s your favorite upgrade or DIY enhancement that you’d recommend to others? What have you tried that you DON’T recommend now?

Reflective tape in moderation ; Keel Easy strips.

@string said:

Sounds like a fun time.

Get a wrap

SeaDog Sail
Deck Compass
Northwater Under Deck and Interior Mount Cockpit Bags
Northwater Paddle Britches
Epoxy some D Rings to the floor of the hull for a water bladder tie in point
Quick Release Rescue Straps

Ok my first coffee is done.

I even know where you can get most of these. :wink:

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Looking for a libra xt sail hopefully this year.

Get underwater lights like boats use.

Sounds like a fun event.

Minicell foam footbrace.
North Water underdeck bag. Movable between kayaks once the interior mounts are installed.

@Paddle KC said:
What have you tried that you DON’T recommend now?

Early on when I was relying more on GPS than my compass, I stuck a Ram Mount for my GPS onto the deck using silicone and a custom two part magnet mount plate I made up.

Overall, it worked fairly well, but occasionally I’d smack it with my paddle and it would hang over the side by its tether. After I removed it a few years ago, there’s still a discoloured dot on my deck as a result. Also, I find I pay much more attention to my surroundings now without the GPS right in front of me.

Non-functional (other than perhaps making them less attractive to potential thieves), but definitely in the realm of “pimping” – I like to add stickers and my nicknames for my boats to their hulls. RapidVinyl on Ebay will make you durable vinyl lettered stickers in any size and font you want and the “om” and “peace dove” come from Hippy Motors USA, a small home business that has hundreds of cool designs that can be applied to boats, bikes and cars. They do peel off cleanly after heating with a hair dryer on “high” but otherwise hold up well. Here’s some of the deco, on “Snow Pea” and “Sisiutl”.

Colorful deck lines

@willowleaf said:
Non-functional (other than perhaps making them less attractive to potential thieves), but definitely in the realm of “pimping” – I like to add stickers and my nicknames for my boats to their hulls.

No nickname, although when I mentioned I was buying a Fathom to relatives, they thought I said “phantom” so that’s what they call it. Just one sticker, from Hawaii. No double blade warriors there. Wish it had magical powers and could make the ice melt.

Hippy Motors USA had some neat Polynesian and Maori designs (like sea turtles and dolphins), several different kinds of eyes that could go on a boat’s prow and one decal that’s a dread-locked dude solos paddling a canoe. I’ve suggested they consider some kayak-themed designs too.

on Mine, I ran pad-eyes all along the hull for deck-lines and all over the cockpit for attachment points.
Every pad-eye at the cockpit has a matching one inside for an inside attachment point.
I added a bulkhead and forward hatch to my OT-Dirago.
Added a bungie paddle holder to each side of the cockpit.

I was in Bass Pro this weekend entertaining a 3 year old grandson. Yes, it’s really a playground for adults and kids!
They actually have led light strips for your kayak hull. I’ve no idea why you’d want them, but for “pimping” I guess they would do nicely!
Custom paint job would be first, IMHO!
T

Should check local regulations on watercraft lighting before adding anything but static white lights to a canoe or kayak.

@string said:

@string said:

Sounds like a fun time.

Thanks! Yes, it is a fun time!

@PaddleDog52 said:
Get a wrap

You mean like a car wrap with graphics applied all over? If that’s what you mean, I don’t think it would survive long with the abuse of frequent paddles, loading, and banging around. :wink:

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions! It IS a really fun event, and great for newbies as well as experienced paddlers. Part of the benefit in doing it together is sharing tools, supplies and skills. Some of us are less handy than others. I won’t mention names - haha.

Here’s the consolidated list of all your suggestions so far… great ideas!

• Reflective tape * in moderation. Keel Easy strips.
  • Boat wrap (not sure what this is, though), underwater lights
  • SeaDog Sail
  • Deck Compass
  • Northwater Under Deck and Interior Mount Cockpit Bags
  • Northwater Paddle Britches
  • Epoxy D Rings to the floor of the hull for a water bladder tie in point
  • Quick Release Rescue Straps
  • Minicell foam footbrace
  • Cool stickers and boat names
  • Colorful deck lines
  • Pad-eyes all along the hull for deck-lines and all over the cockpit for attachment points. Every pad-eye at the cockpit has a matching one inside for an inside attachment point
  • Add bulkhead or forward hatch
  • Add bungie paddle holder to each side of the cockpit
  • Lighting strips

A couple of people are planning to add “loading enhancements” to their racks, like the side extension bar. One guy might add a rudder, although that sounds like quite a project for a couple of hours.

@Paddle KC said:

@PaddleDog52 said:
Get a wrap

You mean like a car wrap with graphics applied all over? If that’s what you mean, I don’t think it would survive long with the abuse of frequent paddles, loading, and banging around. :wink:

Cable company here did 100 or more trucks they said cheaper than painting. Fairly durable with some care on a deck. I think.