pintail for extended trip?

After a long weekend trip in my Greenlander, I’m considering taking the pintail to the Apostle Islands for a weeklong paddle. No seriously long distances to cover, I’m anticipating some 15 mile days and less.

As a backpacker I know it has the capacity to carry what I need. Also know it hits the wall a bit faster than a greenlander, but I can hold 5 mph fairly easily (with boat empty). On the other hand, it can turn like a dime in rough seas and might be nice to have around to get out on some shorter afternoon/evening paddles after setting up camp.

Any thoughts to help solve my dilemma?

???
What dilemma?

Absolutely!
People have been doing extended trips in Nordkapps for years… Pintail is plenty big!

No problem – with care
I have used my Anas Acuta (small round hatches fore and aft) for multi-week trips to Lake Superior (Pukawaskwa, Isle Royale, Apostles), Everglades and so on. The Pintail should have slightly more room than the Anas.

While a Pintail/Anas doesn’t have the capacity or loading convenience of say, an NDK Explorer, if you pack like a backpacker you should be fine. Capacity is even better if you can filter fresh water rather than having to carry it.

Greg Stamer

What is your weight?
I have wondered about the total load one can expect an AA to carry and still perform OK. I can easily get all the gear into the AA, even the water needed for a Maine coast trip, but at 175# I wonder how much additional weight I can put in it before its just too low for good paddling. Its not the limited capacity that has me concerned.

let me clarify my dilemma
I know I have the carrying capacity but I’m wondering if I’ll tire of the lower speeds/greater effort to maintain good speed. I’ll be paddling with 3 others, 1 who will be in an aquanaut and others in dagger atlantis’s.

Weight
I normally weigh in at 170lbs (I’m currently down to only 148lbs after a recent trip around Iceland and look like a scarecrow).

My Anas, fully loaded rides with the black seam almost in the water. That in itself is not a problem (it’s how most real Greenland kayaks ride unloaded). Handling is a very different – fully loaded my (skegless) Anas is very stable but wallows a bit until I get used to it.

Greg Stamer

Same experience as Greg in a
Romany on month long trips. Loaded to the seam and not as playful, but worked just fine. I was about 205 at the time (skinny for me)and probably carried 70 lbs +/- in the kayak. I had plenty of water on the way so carried only about a gallon (8lbs.).

These smaller boats do just fine and to me are still more fun, even laden than the big boats.

Opposite
At the speeds you will be maintaining in the group you’ll not work any harder in the smaller boat, and may even “net” a better energy expended to distance covered average. I did a few 50 nautical mile days in a loaded Romany. Easily averaged 4 knots hour after hour. Don’t sweat that. You and they will be suprised. Some years back did a trip on Vancouver Is. West Coast with my Romany and two fellows each in Current Designs Extremes. They were very concerned that I’d not keep up even though they knew I was a stronger paddler than they were. I waited for them…they could not maintain the pace in so called super fast boats…especially when the seas kicked up.

Now, if your partners are truly strong and intent on proving to you that your boat is too slow and push the pace beyond approx. 4 knots, then yes you will not keep up. But why would they do that?? Over the long haul they will tire and you’ll be right there anyway.