Places in LA

Hi everyone, I’m new to the LA area and was wonderingif anyone knew of a quiet lake or river to go canoeing? I was hoping to find a less populated, pretty place. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Carla

It’s a desert by the Ocean

– Last Updated: Jan-04-06 5:15 PM EST –

SoCal is not really a place with a lot of lakes.

Here's a link to a list ...

http://totalescape.com/active/water/lakelist.html#anchor10293110

Arrowhead and some of the other lakes in the San Bernadino Mtns may fit your criteria. Most lakes are fairly developed or if not fairly crowded in the summer months. There may be some smaller resevoirs that are not on this list.

Lake Cuayamaca and Lake Hodges are not bad places to paddle but they are a bit of a drive for you.

Rivers are also lacking, parts of Kern river can be canoed and the other good spot is the lower Colorado above Yuma, both of which are about 3 hours drive from LA area.

I would suggest to go down to the harbour at Newport and rent a SOT kayak or look at Southwind Kayaks beginner trips for ocean paddling. You will get a lot more time on the water if you try kayaking and ocean paddling. It can be done in safe and protected bays. I sent my canoe off to live with relatives in Utah since it was not getting any use here.

Lake Casitas just north of Six Flags
and Pyramid Lake, on the way up the Grapevine. Newport Harbor is a cool place too.