Places to kayak around Biloxi,MS

I’m not sure if I should put this here for in the “going places” section. I’m thinking about heading to Southern MS sometime in May. I’m looking for advice on places to paddle around Gulfport, Biloxi or Pascagoula. I’ll be with my girlfriend on a three day weekend but we’ll only be on the water during the day. I’s like to find places to see wildlife. I’m not planning on doing any fishing but if there’s something biting I’ll get a license and drop a line.

If anyone knows of a couple of good spots to put in around there please let me know. Thank for the help.

Mike

You are in my backyard

– Last Updated: Apr-11-13 7:47 PM EST –

Couple good places for wildlife, Gulf Islands National Seashore (GINS) in Ocean springs has a free boat launch. You can spend a couple hours paddling around the bayou. Paddling to deer island is pretty cool. Take off from Biloxi near the yacht club and it's about 100 yards across, take off from Maurepas park in Ocean Springs at Washington ave and it's two miles across to the island. Lot's of birds. Lot's of sand.
Do you have your own boats or were you going to rent? Looking for an overnite trip? What kind of skill level? What's is your shuttle situation like? E-mail me and I'll try to help you out. Do you know Iron Mike from P. Island?

Pascagoula River
The Pascagoula River would be nice also. There are several launches on the lower portion of the river around I-10. You could also put in in the Pascagoula River Wildlife Management Area to explore the river or surrounding swamps.

A good 8 to 10 mile trip would be from GINS to Deer Island. There are plenty of trips around. How many miles are you looking to do and for how long?

Jeff

You need to buy a permit for the WMAs

We’ll be spending a long weekend
paddling, leave home Thursday night then return home Sunday night. We have our own boats, a couple of home made Pygmy boats that we’ve been using for years. We are both moderate skill level. We get on the water a good bit in the summer. I just retired from the Marines and the last few years I’ve been deploying a bit so kayaking has been on and off for us.

I don’t think my girlfriend would like any over nights but 10-15 miles is within our abilities. We usually go to Savannah or Destin, FL once or twice a year to see some dolphins. I’ll look into the areas you all have mentioned. Thanks for the help.