Planning a trip in January need advice

I have Jan 5-13 off and would like to go on a kayaking expedition/ trip somewhere. I live in central NJ and am willing to drive about 700 miles or so which could get me about as far as Georgia. I would like to go for like a 5 day trip somewhere that won’t be too cold and is easy to camp along the way (dont need accomodations but dont want to break the law or be tresspassing) I am looking at NC, SC and GA - lakes or rivers are fine I think the coast would be too much unless it was sheltered water. If anyone knows a good place for a 5ish day camping trip in Jan please do tell. I dont really know how cold it is in those states in Jan but from weather.com it seems reasonably warm…

all advice greatly appreciated.

January trip
take a look at the Tennesse River. It flows from around Chattanooga through Guntersville Alabama and then to Huntsville Alabama. I can hook you up with an expert that paddles and camps there often and the Bald Eagles are being sighted around Guntersville. Good luck.

Try Jocasee

– Last Updated: Dec-28-07 10:20 AM EST –

Huge TVA lake on the SC NC border. Backcountry camping available.

It can be warm in January and it can snow. Usually moderate though its mountain country and ski areas are not far away.

The Suwanee River in Georgia is running a little low now. You can do from a day trip to multidays.
Let's hope it rains soon.

The South is suffering from dry and some lakes are low..

Roanoke River NC
http://www.roanokeriverpartners.org/RiverCamping.htm

Trip
Consider Bear Island N. C. . Great place to paddle and the weather has been warm here. Let me know if i can help. Vaughn Fulton