Plasti dip a kayak?

Reading on several automotive forums that I frequent I see that people are using Plasti dip http://www.plastidip.com/

to coat everything from wheels to whole vehicles. It occurred to me why not use it on the deck of my fiberglass kayak. Over time it’s collected it’s share of scratches, fading, and crazing in the gel coat.

It comes in quite a few colors so it would be kind of neat to be able to change my old color to something new. Plus if it didn’t turn out I didn’t like it I could always peel it off.

So anyone tried this and how has it held up?

Never heard of it
BUT if you do decide to get it please let us know how it turns out. I would love to put some kind of protective coating over gelcoat.

Another deck protection option
http://theartofpaddling.com/2012/08/08/sea-kayak-customization-protecting-your-deck-from-wear/

3M also makes a spray on product, “Paint Defender”, http://3mauto.com/how-to-center/commercial/

No idea how effective the spray on application is, but the protective film works very well and doesn’t add a ton of weight

Been wondering that myself…
Was thinking of doing that, but would have to remove all the deck fittings and lines, might take a little while to get all that stuff off. I think they have a blaze orange color that looks pretty cool.

Guess I’ll have to
try the plasti dip and see how it works. The clear from 3M looks interesting also but I’m looking more to cover scratches and fading, if I had I new kayak it might be worthwhile to look into.

also on my agenda
I’ve been thinking about buffing out my faded, scratched deck and adding something to protect it.

Why not go with something permanent?

What about some kind of clear coat. Recommendations anyone?

Well for fading
For fading for gelcoated kayaks I use Klasse which is an acrylic sealer. But it wont stop scratches just fading from the sun.

Gel coat
IS the protective coating on a kayak…imagine how much weight plastic-coat will add…then what will you cover the new coat with in order to keep IT from scratching???

Is this thread real???

Using it for a paddle
This is the first time I have used the plasti dip spray. I am coating the ends of my Greenland paddle, and it is not going well. The spray bubbles and does not dry smooth like the paint on or dip version. I wish I had not got the spray and it is taking a lot of coats and time.

Bad idea!

– Last Updated: Aug-14-13 10:55 PM EST –

My mistake. I deleted what I first wrote. I originally thought this was for the hull as a whole. Just the deck? It'll be heavy, but not as bad as coating the whole hull, and yes, it will peel off pretty easily.

Yes it’s real
I don’t see that it would add that much weight. And did you read the link to the product? People are using this to cover the wheels on their cars and even the whole car its’ self.

I’m going to give it a try. It’s not going to hurt the kayak and if I don’t like it I’ll peel it off.

Did you try?
I’m sure I’m not the only one interested to know how your experiment with the Plasti Dip worked. Photos strongly encouraged ;D