Plastic boat for Distance/Marathon, Racing/Training

Hello,
I’m looking for recommendations for boats for racing, primarily for distance races 10 to 50+ miles on rivers flat water to class II. I live in Eastern WV so must all the races I would enter would be on rivers as opposed to open water/ocean. Because of rocky conditions a plastic boat with a kick up rudder would be my best bet. I currently have a Necky Chatham 16 that has been great for getting out and beginning to train, but I’m guessing it’s too short to be competitive against longer boats and is too long for a shorter rec class. I have thought about plastic surf skis like the Epic V7, but didn’t know if there are any touring/sea Kayak’s with fast hulls as well. I come from a rowing background so I know the advantage of a composite layup, but where I live I’m going to need a plastic boat. Also I’m 6’3 and currently 215, however I should be in the mid 190’s by the time I’m racing.
Thanks,
Matt

Don’t rule out river and multisport layups as well as wildwater boats. They cost a bit more but are much lighter and faster while being very durable. I wish I hadn’t sold mine.

Sounds like you’ll be a candidate for the new P&H Valkyrie which in the newer Corelite X 3 layer construction puts it in a fiberglass weight range but with poly forgiveness of rocks.

https://hudsonriverpaddler.org/…/09/ph-valkyrie-coming-soon/

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Do the races you are planning to participate in have sea kayak or fast sea kayak classes? If so, what class do you want to compete in? What are the specs for that class?

Epic does have a plastic surf ski. Cobra also used to have one (not sure if they still do).

The Chatham you are in is known as a slow, but maneuverable, boat. You should pick up speed by upgrading, but will lose ability to turn quickly. Will that be an issue? If you really are going on up to class II, that Chatham may be better than a surf ski.

Marshall when are the Valkyries expected to be out? What will the retail price be? Closer to the Octane or the Scorpios ?

The Valkyrie will be $2000.

As to it’s arrival, like the blog post says, any day now.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

So you really haven’t been to any of the races you intend to enter? …otherwise you’d know what people are using and have some boats in mind?

Here’s a link that may take you to the ratings system to see what class you might be interested in. https://paddleguru.com/races

have not been to any of the races I’m looking at entering. The only paddling race I have ever done in a kayak was a down river race in a Dancer years ago. There seems to be a lack of uniformity in classes between the races I’ve looked at. Some races have a separate class for surf skis others do not. Some have a class for plastic boats separate from composite, and some a rec class under 14ft. I get the impression that distance racing is a growing sport but is not as uniform as flat water sprinting.
While I would love to have a whole stable of boats to play around with budget wise that’s not going to happen this year. So right know I have the Neckey Chatham with is a fun boat to paddle and maneuverable but slow. It reminds me a lot of a old school white water long boat except it tracks great. This year I’m thinking find a longer faster boat for races but do not jump up to a surf ski until I’m doing well in the regular sea kayak class. A boat like the P&H Valkyrie would probably be exactly what I’m looking for it’s just out of my price range for this season. I’ve going to need to find something used in the $400 to $800 range to fill the gap for now.

The key might be the level of racing in your area.

Would a Scorpio MV MK-I work. I have a paddler looking to upgrade to the new one.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

Not sure, I will read up on them, thanks.

My fastest boat is an 18’ x 20" skin on frame. Weighs 31 pounds, has a skegged keel, vanishingly low stern deck and tracks like it’s on rails. Bought it used for $800. I often see home built SOF’s for sale around the country and on classified ads. Designer Brian Schulz of Cape Falcon Kayaks has plans you can get for some very good performing SOF’s – can be built for under $400 for materials. His LPB (Long Pointy Boat) is designed for speed.

http://www.capefalconkayaks.com/lpb.html

WL, couldn’t sleep last night?

Yup, up late. Doesn’t matter when you are retired! I usually go to bed at a reasonable time and sleep really well but if I find myself sleepless occasionally, I don’t fight it. I get up and read or browse the computer until I feel sleepy, then I go back to bed. Up late again tonight because I went to the CD release concert and party for a friend’s band – picked up a pizza on the way home and ate several cuts an hour ago. Once the 2 Newcastles I drank before leaving the club wear off and my stomach absorbs those 4 cuts of pineapple-sausage 'za, I’ll head for the sack.

Besides, the weather has been so crappy this week, being up during daylight is just depressing. Has been pouring sheets of slush all evening here, like driving through a Niagara of Slurpy.

I know exactly what you mean. This morning it was raining and chilly. My wife got up at 8:30 and went to water aerobics. I went back to bed and slept til 11. It was still raining and chilly.
Had two mugs of coffee and been mostly reading ever since.

Willowleaf – Your 18x20 SOF sounds great. Any more like it? I’ve been looking for something lighter than my Impex Force Cat 3, which I love, but it seems to be getting heavier as I get older. RickD

@rickd said:
Willowleaf – Your 18x20 SOF sounds great. Any more like it? I’ve been looking for something lighter than my Impex Force Cat 3, which I love, but it seems to be getting heavier as I get older. RickD

Rock, that’s just gravity getting stronger caused by global warming.

Not sure where you are Rick but Gabriel at beartraditionalkayaks.com.com was showing off pictures on FB of his 20’ sof. I’m sure he could build you something lighter than your F3.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

Thanks Diane, not enough coffee in my system when I wrote the post. :smile:

https://www.beartraditionalkayaks.com/

Gabriel is also a nice guy. I visited his shop ~3 weeks ago. Shop is located in Brevard NC. Very pretty area, with a lot to do. It is the waterfall capital of the SE.