Plastic Kayak Life Span

I’m thinking of buying a used kayak from one of the local outfitters. The problem is, I don’t know how old it is and I know they’re stored on trailers out in the Vegas sun. Is there any way to tell if the plastic is deteriorated? It’s a really good price but I’d be upset if it cracked open the first time a hit a big rock. (I try not to do that.)

Simple test
Hit it with a big rock (or a hammer or a baseball bat). If it cracks it’s no good.

check the HIN

– Last Updated: Jun-25-10 8:25 PM EST –

To determine the age, check the hill identification number. Last 4 digits are the date manufactured.
http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm
http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/hin.html

If that doesn't work, post the make and model here, and we may be able to give you the range when the boat was manufactured. The molds used to make most plastic boats last for a finite amount if time, so each model is usually only made for up to 5 years.

To determine how badly the sun has affected it, look to see how different color it is on the outside versus some place protected from the sun (like =inside a hatch). If there is a lot of fading in the outside, then it has seen a lot of exposure to sun. No a sure sign that you shouldn't buy it, but something that could raise a red flag.

If it is a recent model, marketed within
the last 3 years, I doubt it has been in the sun long enough for significant sun damage. But as mentioned above, a boat exposed a long time to sun will show some color fading and eventually a slightly chalky surface patina.

You could hit 'em for a modest discount.

Good Deal
"the last 3 years, I doubt it has been in the sun long enough for significant sun damage. But as mentioned above, a boat exposed a long time to sun will show some color fading and eventually a slightly chalky surface patina.

You could hit 'em for a modest discount."

It’s a Wilderness Systems Eskia and they only want $350 for it. For the price, I don’t think I can go wrong.

do you mean
Necky Eskia?

Geez
Haven’t you bought that Eskia yet? Trust the force, Luke…

price
That sounds about right for a used rental fleet kayak, depending on age. What does the seat look like? In the past few model years the Eskia seat and seat back is covered with a thick grey foam-rubber cover. Older boats have an all black plastic seat and back.

You should be able to tell from the Hull Identification Number.

Watch for thin spots on the stern, where the boat may have been dragged.

Not Yet
Posted by: carldelo on Jun-26-10 7:13 PM (EST)

Haven’t you bought that Eskia yet? Trust the force, Luke…

Just waiting for payday!