Please Help Me Choose a First Canoe

"Canadian Style"
Btw, since a few people have asked: when solo, I do (generally) paddle Canadian style.

Wenonah Prospector 15’
Among the boats that are available to me to test paddle (within, say, 150 miles), the Wenonah Prospector 15’ is far and away the MOST appropriate for my needs. And I think it’s clear that boat isn’t really ideally suited to my needs–I’d think anything I listed in the comment above would work better. But I can’t paddle them myself in advance, so in making a decision I’ve got to work from general hull characteristics and the advice of people who have paddled them.

All those boats you list…
…down to and including the Penobscot (and maybe the others too, but I don’t know them)…I suspect you will figure out how to make any of them work for you for everything up to cl2. Some will be drier, some will be faster, some will turn easier, etc…

Not a bad boat in the lot. Any of them would be easy to sell if you decide another would be more suitable. Buy what’s available used at a reasonable used price (typically 50% of new, in good to excellent condition) and you won’t go wrong.

bumping this old thread to ask jbmill…
so what’d you end up with? How does it meet your original requirements?