Pls Comment on Dry Pants Like These

Any opinions on these:

Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest Pants with Socks

Any other recommended models or brands?

Do I need boots over the “socks”? I won’t be walking much—these are just for getting in and out.

Is it quick and easy to put them on/take them off?

Thanks.

If it’s cold enough you need dry pants, you should really have other full body immersion protection clothing because dry pants aren’t going to help when you capsize.

If you just don’t want to get your feet wet, take up a different activity.

@PianoAl said:
Do I need boots over the “socks”? I won’t be walking much—these are just for getting in and out.

You definitely want boots or shoes over the integrated docks in the pants. Walking with the socks directly on the ground greatly increases the likelihood of getting holes in the socks.

Could be just about anything from old sneakers to water socks to wetsuit booties. Primary goal here is mechanical protection, but something that also provides thermal protection may be needed, depending on your situation.

They work nice to keep you dry. GF just got a pair. She doesn’t go all year so below 60* water I won’t take her. I have kokatat tropos ones 6 years. If you’re going to be submerged below 60* F water you may be in trouble. They will leak and you’ll be cold. May be wet suit below them would help for more safety but I never tried it. You will need shoes to protect socks. Dealer blew them out to her for 85 bucks. They are dry as long as your waist is not below water.

They’re a good garment with its limitations. Think of them as waders. Extended swim time will result in more leakage, usually at the center of your back. Given that I don’t carry them anymore at my store. Kokatat Surfskin pants or straight to a full Paddling/Dry suit.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Never ever walk bare on the integrated socks in any dry wear, unless you like paying the manufacturer to replace them a couple of times a year.

I have a pair of Kokatat pants that I used heavily the last couple of years paddling by myself which is getting to near the end of its life with the waterproof layers. But as Marshall says they are limited garments. I wear them when I want to stay dry below dry and will have a lot of control over whether I am likely to get wet, and if it is a risk it’ll be near home. I am not going to replace the pair I have because of these limitations. My next major dry wear purchase is likely to be the 2 piece suit with the zipper in the middle from Kokatat. If I want just pants for my lap I will likely pick up a cheaper pair water blocking pants that I won’t mind if they only work for a season. The lack of a p-zipper is also inconvenient for most.

Lack of a zipper is not bad as they pull down in front fairly easy. I limit there use to early fall and late spring. Farmer John I don’t bother with anymore. Water below 60* it’s drysuit time for me. In a bigger group and good conditions may be 55* for the pants. I had to send in my suit for seam tape repair water here is 55* now when I out my hand in I imagine my whole body in it.

I have a pair of Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest Pants with Socks./ I had before the Tropos version of these pants but after 2 years they started leaking right through the butt area. Just seeped through. since they were out of warranty I bought the hydrus version which has a longer warranty. Although Kokatat warranty isn’t really much of anything. Kokatat can at any time say the life of the garment is over and thats it. Friend had that happen with drysuit recently. So there lifetime warranty doesn’t really mean much. I use the pants when its colder when going down creeks were I want to stay dry and if I ever came out of boat the creeks are only a few feet deep. Bring change of cloths. Were drysuit on Great lakes. I hate wet feet. dry pants keep feet dry.

I bought these instead (have pocket, NRS quality, on sale):

$188.

And took them on a cruise today. Very nice. I wore these on the outside of the “socks.”

My wife will knit me some really thick wool socks, and I’ll buy some cheap plastic shoes that are a few sizes larger.

No more dicey entries and exits, trying not to get my feet wet.

Here they are on today’s late (after UPS delivery) fishing trip:

Stayed out past sunset:

@dc9mm said:
I have a pair of Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest Pants with Socks./ I had before the Tropos version of these pants but after 2 years they started leaking right through the butt area. Just seeped through. since they were out of warranty I bought the hydrus version which has a longer warranty. Although Kokatat warranty isn’t really much of anything. Kokatat can at any time say the life of the garment is over and thats it. Friend had that happen with drysuit recently. So there lifetime warranty doesn’t really mean much. I use the pants when its colder when going down creeks were I want to stay dry and if I ever came out of boat the creeks are only a few feet deep. Bring change of cloths. Were drysuit on Great lakes. I hate wet feet. dry pants keep feet dry.

Warranty means something to me I am getting a new 1200 drysuit for what it cost me to ship it to kokatat after 7 years + -.

So what did you catch?

@PaddleDog52 said:
So what did you catch?

This is how it went, and weirdly, I’ve had the same experience multiple times:

Cast 1: Nothing
Cast 2: Two strikes.
Cast 3: Land a 10" trout, release it.
Cast 4: Fish on, comes loose.
Cast 5: Fish on, comes loose.
Cast 6 - 200(?): Nothing.

In other words, I caught something immediately, then nothing for hours, despite moving around, trying different lures, etc.

I guess it’s just chance. Had fun, though. Another picture:

Cool

The dry pants are great. I wear water shoes over the “socks,” but I’ll need to buy larger shoes so I can wear them with two layers of socks. They are indeed easy to put on and take off.