Point 65 N Crunch Rocket

There is a point 65 n crunch rocket available used locally, but there are no reviews, and not much in general about the point 65 boats. Has anyone paddled the crunch rocket and would it fit me? 6’2" 215 lbs?

Review on its’ sister hull
Below is a review of its’ sister hull the Rocker. I believe the only difference between the two is that the Rocket has less rocker making tracking its’ strong suit.

Test paddle it if you can.

Point 65 Rocker Rocks

“One of the best parts of my job (“job” is a euphemism here), is paddling new boats. Me taking a new kayak out on the water for the first time is a lot like Christmas morning for my kids. The Point 65 Crunch Rocker did not disappoint. Paddling the Rocker out in Belfast Harbor on Monday (1 knot tidal current, 10 - 15 knot wind, slight chop), I was impressed by the speed and tracking of this boat. No matter which direction I pointed it, the Crunch Rocker held course.

The Crunch Rocker is actually the poky little sister of the Crunch Rocket. But poky it is not. In fact with its narrow beam, fine ends, v-ed hull, and sculpted deck it is the sleekest, sharpest polyethylene kayak I have seen. Put that together with its extended waterline and moderate rocker and it may also be the fastest.

Very easy to set on edge, the Rocker turns well once leaned and is thus a great boat for rivers as well as for ocean paddling. Which gets me thinking that the record time for the touring/rec category on the Kenduskeag River could fall next spring. Rocket or Rocker? Hmmm . . . I’m not sure it’s even fair to to put the Rocker and Rocket in the same category as conventional plastic touring boats. But then again, there is nothing in the category rules that states that a rec/touring boat has to be rounded, blunt, slow, and beamy.”

I’m a rare Point 65N owner…
http://www.point65.com/Default.asp?page=news&id=138

The above link is for the Point 65N spec sheet on the Crunch Rocker.

Not too many Point 65ers of us out there. Whenever I’ve posted on them or seen a post about them, there have been very few responses. I once asked a comparison question on a thread between a Point 65N and a P&H Capella 169. All of the responders commented on the Capella, but none could give any insight on the P65.

I bought a demoed/used P65N X-Ray. Love it thus far. Someone posted a link to the forthcoming Point 65N XP18 a few weeks ago. Has a wider and longer cockpit, more stable and faster…I might have to start pinching my pennies.

Two more links…
Crunch ROCKER…

http://www.point65.com/Default.asp?page=kayaks&kayak=17

Crunch ROCKET…

http://www.point65.com/Default.asp?page=kayaks&kayak=10

A few rumors…
Since there seem to be little experience of this kayak I’ll offer my thoughts. We have a couple of Crunch Rockets at the club (as well as a few Crunch Rockers). As I haven’t paddled them myself I can only rely on what others have said. Neither Crunch is suited for a big person. I think you are on the large side to be comfortable in Crunch. The Rocket is rather fast and responsive to edging which experienced kayakers like, but beginners and bigger guys often find it nervous. The Rocket is a good boat for an small to medium sized paddler with ambitions. The Rocker is basically friendlier and has less speed, more stability and more manuevrability.

Hard to find boats to fit
I find just about every boat i try i have the footpegs at the very far notch, and it fits, but there’s not a whole lot of room left. It’s too bad some companies don’t offer long models as well as high volume models.

Impex Assateague
I’m 6’4" 225 lbs.

When I was trying different kayaks, the one that had the cockpit that fit the largest was the Impex Assateague.

But good luck finding one of those used. I didn’t see any when I was looking.

Point65 SeaCruiser
Point65 offers plenty of larger models. (Too few small if you ask me). The Crunch is one of the smallest plastic sea kayaks around. If you’re interested in a larger plastic sea kayak from P65, you should take a look at the Point65 SeaCruiser which is a lot larger.

http://www.point65.com/Default.asp?page=kayaks&kayak=23

Longer, nor larger
I find it’s not “size” i need. I currently paddle a necky chatham 17, and while it’s narrow and low volume compared to alot of boats, it’s comfortable for me. It’s the length of my legs that is the problem. I have the footpegs at the very end, and i don’t think the thigh braces were really designed for people with knees as far forward as mine are with the footpegs all the way forward.

As you say, there are plenty of higher volume boats for bigger people, but even the bigger ones don’t really consider people with longer legs, i’ve turned down excellent deals on some used boats simply because my legs don’t fit in them. With a glass boat it’s easier, custom placement of the bulkhead, put the footbraces wherever you want, but with poly you can’t just rip stuff out. Footpeg holes will leak, the bulkhead placement might need to be in that spot for structural support, etc.

I have a Chatham 17
and picked up a used Nigel Foster Shadow for touring. I’m 6,3, 240lbs or so, and find the Shadow fun to play and tour in. I’ve seen people 6,6 or so fit in the Shadow comfortably. The 17 is a cool boat, but with any gear in it I turn it into a submarine. The higher volume of the Shadow lets it carry gear more easily, and also is more stable when playing in currents\rips. Can’t beat the 17 for rough water playing rock gardening though…

Sorry I know nothing of the Point65s…

Crunch rocket
I’m a Chatham 17 user myself and haven’t tried any Point 65 kayaks, but the stats for the crunch point to smaller paddlers. Their larger boats, including the upcoming XP-18 look fantastic. If the stats and initial reviews on that are correct then I need to save up as well. That surf ski / WWI battleship look is really cool!