Poling Question

Has anyone ever thought about or tried using Bamboo as a pole? It is lightweight, get it in any length you want, floats, very strong, and if it breaks could easily be fixed with Duct tape. Just wondering.

The piece I tried…
was too flexible. I think to get bamboo that would be stiff enough would be too large a diameter to be comfortable.

I just realized
I really need to be done with this site. Freakin’ people can’t launch canoes from land and now patchin’ bamboo poles with duct tape. Gawd…

bamboo pole
some folks in the UK have used it…

now as for that entering and poling thing…that makes some SO unhappy try this

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2554168.html

The real question …
is can you be a paddle poser if you’re standing with a pole, or is it just posing? :wink:

poling poser
though maybe not, since generally it’s pt. A to B back to A, not just A to B. guess I ain’t done yet…heehee

I’d call that
"paddling a future strainer :-)"

Never tried it but
I can’t think of any reason bamboo would not work.

I would be surprised if a duct tape repair would hold up to pushing upstream. But if you are poling swamps or other quiet water maybe?

I’d be interested to hear how and under what conditions it works or does not.

Tommy

Wow! Like the lumberjacks in Maine.
Sorta parallel evolution huh?

Tommy

At higher locations in some locales,
you may be attacked by pandas.

bonsai pines? NM

um no bathing suit for the
lumberjacks…and they used spikes on their boots.Come to think of it thats probably the only bath they got.

bonsai boots
and bonsai clothes

get near a lumberjack

and hold your nose!

bamboo = slivers and cuts
Having used a lot of it for various purposes at one period of my life, I think I can say that bamboo would be about the worst material possible for upriver poling. I wouldn’t even use it in calm water unless no other choice. I can still remember what those bamboo slivers and cuts feel like.

Might Be A Good Idea!
I thought you already had washed your hands of this site since it disgusted you so much!

dougd

I’m sure you’re familiar with

– Last Updated: Feb-10-09 7:32 PM EST –

the term "addiction" :-0
Does this really concern you, or are you just drunk again?
Hey Doug, ya' spelled "essential" wrong in your bio....may have something to do with "trip as often as I can..."....'nuff said.

And I thought Lumberjacks
"Put on womens clothing,

and hang around in bars."

T

Duct Tape would help for that. NM

Glass over like a barbershop pole
Cuttng long strips, and winding them around the bamboo will strengthen it, and give it good stiffness yet flex. I’ve made a sailing mast out of bamboo that I wrapped in zynole cloth and resin,after it dried I sanded to smooth it and it is one tough pole, very lightweight too.

Not for my kind of poling…
Bamboo and microscopic glass splinters. Niiice combination. :wink: