Port Orford cedar?

-- Last Updated: Mar-01-08 3:48 PM EST --

Anybody ever use it for canoe paddles? I've got some 'playground grade' 4X4's that need recycling. Stuff sure smells good when cut, reminds me of sharpening pencils in grammar school!

Port Oxford Cedar
Port Oxford is not as soft and light as some western red cedar but it will make a nice paddle. Just make sure the piece you choose has nice straight grain and no knots. If you cant find a suitablr piece wide enough, laminate it. Yu can make some nice patterns, contracting colors etc. by laminating. Use epoxy, single part PU or PVA glue.

Good Luck

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works

Sorry to hijack a topic but…
I absolutely love dogpaddle paddles. I have only made one paddle so far, but your site was one of my inspirations to even consider carving my own paddles.

I am very intrigued by your router sled setup and am currently pondering designing a similar jig.

Too worried about being lured to the power side of carving as I am new and still enjoying the spokeshave.

Don’t be too fast
about building a router sled unless you’re going to make a bunch of paddles. It works great but is is finicky to adjust and use. I can get high accuracy now but I spoiled several glued up blanks before I got consistent results. The problem is that although the jig is accurate, you relieve stresses in the wood when you carve the 1st side of the blade. Simply flipping over the blank and carving the second side is almost guaranteed to carve too much or too little. It’s not as straight forward as it appears.

Anyway, If you’re carving paddles for your own use and pleasure, enjoy the spokeshave, draw knife etc. I still do every now and then when I want to try out a new design.

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works

Don’t be too fast
about building a router sled unless you’re going to make a bunch of paddles. It works great but is is finicky to adjust and use. I can get high accuracy now but I spoiled several glued up blanks before I got consistent results. The problem is that although the jig is accurate, you relieve stresses in the wood when you carve the 1st side of the blade. Simply flipping over the blank and carving the second side is almost guaranteed to carve too much or too little. It’s not as straight forward as it appears.

Anyway, If you’re carving paddles for your own use and pleasure, enjoy the spokeshave, draw knife etc. I still do every now and then when I want to try out a new design.

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works

Lawson’s Cypress
Thanks for response, Marc. I did a quick search and it seems that Port Orford cedar would make an almost ideal paddle wood. A bit heavier than Western Red, but proportionally stronger and no nasty splinters! Anyway, subsequent post got me curious enough to visit your site. Wow! Nice looking products (including kid)! Fun pics of F/S symposium, too.

P.O. Cedar
is THE wood to use for most traditional arrow makers. Tough for its weight, smells great when you miss and break an arrow.

Tim