Portable outdoor fire pits

I could have used a heat source after Helene . I’ve been casually looking at these pits.
Is there one you have used and reccomend? My budget is $200.

Have you consider a Mr. Heater “Buddy Heater?” Runs on propane and can be used “safely” indoors (still keep a carbon monoxide detector nearby). I got one this year for my canvas tent. Really like it, especially when connected with hose to a bigger (20 lb) tank.

I also bought a small portable fire pit, but haven’t used it for outside the tent. I actually realized that I don’t enjoy campfires.

I do heat my Maine cabin with wood stove. Very effective but can be a hassle.

Hope you get power back soon, if not already.

PS. I got this for foldability/portability but have used it:

Wise Owl Outfitters Portable… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09N7TPXV7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

-sing

Thanks Sing. We’ve had power back since last Thursday. My brother and cousin have weathered Milton in Florida. It missed him near West Palm and she is back home in Tampa. No power but no damage. Her family are experienced campers . Runs in the family.
We all grew up tent camping in the Smokies and fires were a memorable part of it.
Not sure about it 60 years later.

I don’t have any specific brand or model recommendation, but if you’re looking for heat over ambiance, I’ve found this type is better at directing the radiant energy outward rather than up:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/outdoor-heating/fire-pits/4324349

If you want the heat more concentrated, take a look at chimineas with the fire box open on one side. The heavy clay ones are more fuel efficient.

Thanks. I’ll check out the first one.

From the operating manual: Never use this appliance in an enclosed space such as a camper, tent, car or home.

Not sure what you are reading from, but here is the manual:

Here is the Mr Heater website description:

-sing

Very first page of the latest manual, at the bottom. Direct quote.

https://www.mrheater.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/37

On page 4 it says that the heater is to be used outdoors, which sort of limits its usefulness.

Ok. Figured it out. The discrepancy is related to local and country specific regulations. Your linked manual is version for Canada (and Massachusetts). The general USA manual allows for indoor usage.

Mr. Heater University | General Product Knowledge.

So, it is a case of buyer beware and user discretion for Mr Buddy heater. From what I have seen and read, the heater should be used in a space with ability to ventilate (or the heater will deplete the enclosed oxygen) and to also use a carbon monoxide detector, even though the Buddy heater has its own detector and shut-off.

-sing

Since I asked the question the memory of 6 days without power has faded. We have a fireplace insert in the den 25’ from where I would have put the outdoor one.
Thanks for suggestions.

Little Buddy heater is useful but I would not sleep with one.
A steel oil pan makes a good device for containing fires on Wild and Scenic Rivers.

Being that it’s the same heater, I would go with the more conservative warnings if my life or health may be at risk. Carbon monoxide exposure is insidious and a serious health issue.

Totally agree with you. Anyone living in an older home with a burner that runs on gas or oil (I have an oil furnace/water heater) faces the same risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Thus the need for regular (annual) burner maintenance and the use of (multiple) carbon monoxide detectors (in which new batteries are switched in fall and spring). Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs every year because of malfunctioning (unmaintained) burners and the lack of (operating) carbon monoxide detectors.

With the Buddy heater, I use it in by canvas cabin tent with a window and/or vent cracked open. I have an operating carbon monoxide detector in the tent. I used the Buddy Heater from about 6-9 PM in the evening, sitting in my camp chair and reading, and from 4:30-8 AM, when I am having coffee and reading. When it’s bed time, the heater is off and I am in my down sleeping bag.

I personally feel confident in the combo of the Buddy heater and an operating carbon monoxide detector (and keeping a vent open in the tent) to sleep with the heater on. But I don’t since I actually sleep better when the ambient air is cool/cold and I am tucked in the warmth of my down bag.

Again, buyer beware and user discretion.

-sing

1 Like

We used a portable wood stove inside a large camping teepee tent for a base-camping expedition (yeah, I know, base camp and expedition doesn’t sound like it makes sense, but it is what we did) in Alaska. Something like this as seen on Amazon, but the wood stove box also broke down into pieces for transport. On the cold wet days, it was very nice to sit inside the teepee tent.

Seems like your fire pit would have to be used outdoors, limiting the benefit of any heat. Fire pits/camp fires themselves also aren’t super efficient at providing heat.

This type of wood stove having a chimney pipe where you could direct smoke could allow you to do it inside. You’d want to plumb the exhaust out, maybe through the chimney of your current fireplace or build a panel to allow you to send it out a window yet still close the window.

Or you could just get a kerosene indoor space heater.

I’ve used a kerosine space heater in an unheated garage that was probably much worse in terms of toxic byproducts. Another problem with propane or kerosine heaters in that the products of combustion are primarily carbon dioxide and water. The water vapor tends to condense on any cold object unless there is plenty of ventilation or you exhaust it to the outside.

Wood burning fire pits are also only supposed to be used outdoors. but there were a recent series of TV ads showing people using them indoors. Go figure.