Portable/Storable kayak (Bic Yakka, etc.

I’ve searched the forums and didn’t quite find what I was looking for.

I’m more of a recreational kayaker who goes out on the bays and ocean in San Diego. I’d say I’m an intermediate paddler with a couple of years under my belt.

I do not have storage space for a kayak. I bought and have been using the AdvancedFrame inflatable kayak for the past year, which is fine to a point. I’d like to “graduate” to something better. Probably looking to spend under $1000.

My options as I see it:

• I’ve researched the folding kayaks, and decided that I would probably get lazy and not want to deal with the hassle of assembling a kayak every time out on the water.

• I could buy an 8 foot kayak, which I could probably store in my small storage closet. But I wonder if the performance will be any better than the AdvancedFrame.

• I could buy something like the Bic Yakka, but I’m not sure if that would go any faster than what I’m using already. Would love any perspectives from those who’ve used that one. Reviews looked a little better than the Tequila. I have an opportunity to pick up a used Yakka…

• I could buy a higher end inflatable, or even a Hobie sold used.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Not sure

– Last Updated: Mar-26-11 7:44 PM EST –

Not sure how much more performance you'd get above the Advanced Frame. There are higher end inflatables as you say but price jumps up like double.

Have you looked at the air fusion AE has which is like a hybrid inflatable/skin-on-frame?

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=2520
http://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/reviews/advanced-elements-airfusion/

another idea
What about paying for storage at one of the marinas or kayak shops. Then you could shop for a used real sea kayak that will allow you to advance your skills and go out of the bays more safely.

Or if you only paddle once or twice a month, you could consider renting. Then storage isn’t an issue, and rentals were pretty cheap when I was there.

Either way, you might talk to Aqua Adventures and see if you can come up with a creative solution.

Thanks
mceb, I will take a look at the airFusion, didn’t know that was out there. I had seen some of the higher end kayaks come up on Craigslist, but wasn’t sure about their performance.

And Nate, right on…I actually asked Aqua Adventures last year about doing that, and the price was something like $75 a month. I do go out about 4-6 times a month, sometimes more. I have thought about renting, but do find myself going out when they’re not open. I remember when I had a three month pass rushing back to get the kayak in by 5pm or 6pm…