Portage Question

I will be tripping solo this early June. I will enter at EP#14, Little Indian Souix, travel through the Pauness lakes, Shell Lake, Lynx, Ruby Hustler, Oyster, Agnes and finnaly down to Nina-Moose lake and exit, Moose river at EP#16.

That being said, are there any really rocky or steep portages I should be concerned about. Some are nearly a mile, but I am wondering if anyone has info on how rigorous the portages may be.

Bob.

Portage info site
I did a trip in Quetico last fall and found this site particularely helpfull. It has some info on portages for BWCA as well.

http://www.quietjourney.com/pdb/boundarywaters.html

Hope this helps

portaging
i have no experience with the portages you plan to cross. however, in general, i find portaging to be a very subjective experience. what one finds as a tough portage, another may find to be easy. too many variables to say with certainty how a portage may be for any one person. physical fitness, load weight, nutrition, hydration, mental attitude all play a part in the perception of difficulty on a particular portage for me. i’d take any report of difficulty with a grain of salt. look over a topo of the portages you plan to cross as this will give you an idea of the elevation/steepness you’ll encounter. good luck on your trip.

-harry

Not much help
I’ve been on the first half of your route from LIS to Hustler. No problems portages there.

From people I’ve talked to I seem to remember that the Hustler to Oyster portage is a bit rough - some hills. And then your last portage from the Moose River to the parking lot is a bit uphill.