Post videos of others on YouTube you like

Nice run! Masterful :flushed:

1 Like

Oscar the master!

Real world video

:flushed:

1 Like

Looks like misery to me. :flushed:

Its not rec kayaking thatā€™s for sure. Most animals only do dangerous things for food or protection. I believe humans are the only creatures that take danger to the level of a challenge. The rec kayaker is content finding a boat that will safely navigate tranquil water for enjoyment. For the avid paddler, itā€™s about learning skills; it might involve finding a boat that can carry gear to remote places for exploring the wilderness or enjoying what amounts to a carnival rides on white water or ocean surf. Those videos are about the challenge; its about defiance. If its fun, its because the person enjoys beating the odds.

Too many variables for me. I do not like boating in cold water, even if the boat has a motor, but I very much enjoy cold weather hiking and camping, except when combined with high winds. Whether clear, rain, snow, or ice, thereā€™s a unique quality about the world around you, as long as you can plan an out if things get bad.

I also dislike landing on a beach in wind driven waves. Hate that more that cold, boiled mutton.

Tight fit :scream::flushed:

Gut / sea all alone. :anguished:

IMGP8739 - YouTube

2 Likes

Andy, thatā€™s the most amazing video of all the posts. Its like watching them take the first step. My grandaughters started at 11 and 13. They had to use my adult paddles, until I bought them some smaller carbon paddles. They didnā€™t like the new paddles.

I worried about the big cabin cruiser that zip past at speed and leave a powerful wake. The youngest one eventually said, ā€œI hope more big boats come past us, I like that!ā€ Their goal is to paddle to a local waterfront restaraunt from their home to eat lunch.

2 Likes

Natalie, got her started at 7 years old. The paddle she is using is a kids paddle from ONNO. Patrick made it for me when I described what I wanted. Plastic blades, carbon shaft, 20 centimeter adjustment in length and feather. And the kayak is a WS Picollo, I have two of them. Great boat for kids.

1 Like

Hard to find good kayaks for kids. I bought a Prodigy? for the oldest and she outgrew it by the next year. The younger sister inherited it. I bought the Tsunami SP for the oldest, but she already outgrew it at 13 yrs old, so she inherited a used 140 Tsunami and fits it well. The now 12 yr old will inherit the SP, and the Prodigy is in the reserve pool. They grow fast.

They do grow fast! Whatā€™s great about the Picolloā€™s is that a small adult can fit in them. My cousinā€™s wife had no problem with it And they are a long skinny boat.

The WS Picollo, 13ā€™5" x 20.5 is discontinued. It is available used at a good price, with favorablek reviews for youth/small adult. I bought the Prodigy XS in Aug 2020 and she liked it, but outgrew it by the next year. I found a used Tsunami SP, 12 x 21" for her. I like it because its set up just like the adult boats. (deck lines, bungees, front/rear bulkheads, rudder), but it was ready on the small side for her and felt tippy. Since I also found a used 140 Tsunami for my older daughter, she took that out and loves it. So it worked out, because my daughter prefers to keep using a 140 Pungo over the 140 Tsunami; now everybody has a boat again. Iā€™m hoping the youngest grandaughter gets at least one season in the Tsunami SP. I missed a used 135 Tsunami (23") that wouldā€™ve been a nice transition boat for my fleet.

Big water wish I could do it.

1 Like

:scream:

Agh! Ye uh, doesnā€™t look bad until you get into the rough stuff. Whew! That was exciting. Iā€™m plumb wored out just watching it. Some members balked when I called the Chesapeake Bay docile.

PaddleDog52, it would be great to have the confidence and skill to tackle those conditions. I get a rush from relativy protected waters. Thanks for the ride.

1 Like

Thatā€™ll make you thirsty. Canā€™t do it Dog, wonā€™t even try. Not even when I was a young 'un.

1 Like