Pot

No, not the green stuff that gives one the munchies.

I’m wondering if anyone had seen, owned, or heard of a large collapsible pot capable of boiling water safely over an open flame. Think something like a spaghetti pot but folds almost flat. I’d also have the unrealistic expectation of durability and functionality.

Wishful thinking? Probably.

Edit: Rap my knuckles with a yard stick for not Googling before posting. I did find this one that looks promising, but I’ve always had reservations about failures at the bends in this family of products. It’s on my short list nonetheless.

https://seatosummitusa.com/products/x-pot

The X-Pot works well provided the flame is that of a stove constrained to the metal bottom. Do not put your silicone sided X-Pot on a roaring bonfire. You will have a metal frisbee to retrieve from the ashes in the morning if you do.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

@Marshall said:
The X-Pot works well provided the flame is that of a stove constrained to the metal bottom.

Indeed, I’ve started reading the details and personal accounts of use. The lid seems to be a weak point as well.

Any idea how long they’ve been around? I’d love to hear from someone who’s used one for many years of rugged use.

Running The River Connection doesn’t allow me enough free time to getaway for putting my cook gear through rugged use. I have used it on a few overnights and at the store to make lunch when power has been out. In each of those instances the X-Pot and other X dish ware worked perfectly. Anecdotally I would say I became aware of the X-Pot series @4 years ago seeing them at a trade show. The rep set me up with a few of the pieces.

I’m sure there’s field test reviews out there in Backpacker, etc.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I have been using my Sea to Summit X-pot for a year or two, but not huge number of trips (life has a way of getting in the way). Works great. The sides are silicone, which has a pretty high temperature rating (often up to above 550F), so boiling water is not an issue, but direct flame on it could be. So use it on a stove, but not on open fire.

Any sign of failure at the bends? There are a few negative reviews pointing to this obvious weak area.

None that I have seen

I have had the related x bowl
Yes it started to leak at the junction of bottom and side silicone. Not on the folds
But it held up for about a hundred uses
I can see the x pot being useful for kayak camping where pots can be a packing problem

I wonder if G flex would fix my leak. Or in the case of pot if it would go up in flames

Hmm… so maybe a good camping tool but not for everyday use.

I really don’t see the point in a collapsible pot. A pot takes up almost zero room in a pack as it can be stuffed full with other items. My entire kitchen- stove, fuel, spoon, cup, dish washing gear and other stuff that I can’t think of- fits inside my pot.

@sedges said:
I really don’t see the point in a collapsible pot. A pot takes up almost zero room in a pack as it can be stuffed full with other items. My entire kitchen- stove, fuel, spoon, cup, dish washing gear and other stuff that I can’t think of- fits inside my pot.

I haven’t seen the point up to now either, but the idea of taking out ONLY the pot rather than the pot plus stuffed contents has some appeal to me. Also not being limited by the overall size/volume of the pot may be important to me. I’m looking at it from a slightly different context than wilderness tripping, but similarities apply.

You do have a good point though, and with some thought put into it a very efficient setup could be obtained.

@sedges said:

Limitation of kayaks - large pots don’t fit into hatches of many kayaks.

I don’t think I would take a multiday trip with only a collapsible pot unless I had a lot of backup finger food or really liked cold-soaked beef stroganoff. Mmmm-hmmm yumm! :# Seems too risky. Inside my pot are my stove, a cup, bowl, and spork, most of which has to come out to eat anyway.