Pourable Closed Cell Foam as flotation

My new Dagger Zydeco 9 does not come with flotation. My old boat had foam built in and I prefer that to a bladder.

I’m thinking to buy some of that two-part closed cell foam and pour it into the front and back of the boat to create custom flotation.

Any body tried this? Any reason why it may be a dumb idea?

Thx!

expand shrink
or cure as poured into the bow/stern ?

is the curing action exothermic ?

Would it bond to the hull
Or would a bow shaped plug pop out when it floods?

stink ?

toxic ?

what is the substance primarily used for ?

about the foam
There are many of them. Here is one page:

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

If it pops out I suppose it could be glued in with that epoxy I found somewhere in the forums here that sticks to boats.

people have done this
This site has reviews by people who have done just that. Looks like the 6-pound produce (denser and stronger) is the preferred version:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2198&familyName=TotalBoat+2+Part+Polyurethane+Flotation+Foam#pr-header-back-to-top-link

Personally, I’d be a little leery of it , but it sounds like it has worked for some folks – I would think the thing to be careful of is the expansion rate, a little goes a long way.

Maybe glue a piece of line side to side
Before you pour so it runs through the plug?

Heavier but
I seem to think that the old Dagger Cypress boats had something like that. 13 ft rec/transition boats. It added weight but yeah, meant you didn’t have to fuss as much with float bags.

Why?

– Last Updated: Apr-06-16 10:32 AM EST –

When you say you'd rather not use a bladder I assume you mean float bag. If so, why? That would make much more sense IMO than pouring foam into the bow and stern. A tandem canoe end bag in the stern only would be sufficient, would fit perfectly, and 1. wouldn't absorb water or dirt and other contaminants 2. wouldn't add unnecessary weight 3. wouldn't prevent the boat from draining properly and 4. would be easily removed or partially deflated if you wanted to put something else there (like gear for a trip). A float bag that size is easily inflated/deflated and installed/removed, can be secured quickly with a biner and will last years. This is what I've always done with my daughter's Zydeco 9 and it works flawlessly. Great little rec boats BTW. I'm a fan.

yes
How do you secure it?

What if you want to remove it someday?

How much weight will it add? Just a little plug at the ends, or filling both ends up? Yes, I know it floats. It’s still likely heavier than an air-filled float bag. I’d second Deuce’s recommendation.

Laugh At Ol’ Deucey Boy’s Expense
There’s a funny story regarding my discovery of how well a tandem canoe end bag meets this need. Several years ago I took my daughter Gracie (AKA Little Deuce) to our canoe club’s recreational paddling school which is held on a Class I-II river. She’s since moved on to a WW boat, but at that time all she had was the Zydeco. I’m usually pretty good about thinking of everything but for some reason I did not put any flotation in the boat (which didn’t make the safety boater who had to chase her kayak down very happy; oopsie)!

That night at dinner I was called up to the front and presented with an air mattress which I was required to completely inflate in front of the entire group (we’re like a family) and put in the stern. Later that night I ran across one of the end bags in a gear pile and the rest is history!

you didn’t get off too badly
(don’t ask me about the time when I tried, successfully, to get my rec kayak to sink)

Pourable foam…
I would say no/nix/nay to the pourable foam.

Air bags make more sense to me. I have a lot of experience with them in whitewater solo canoes.

Never had any big issue with them; they serve the purpose for which they were intended. Light weight, easy in/easy out, easy to inflate/deflate, easily secured in boat with minimal amount of outfitting. Will last for years if properly cared for.

BOB

What do you secure the bag to with the
biner?

Biner
I just clip it through one of the buckles on the seat back.

amen to that
Since I’ve used skin on frame kayaks since I first really got into paddling 14 years ago, I’ve always used flotation bags – in fact still have my original set. I figure if I ever get too feeble to inflate them, it will be time to hang up my paddles…

I was thinking about the front bag.

No front bag.

– Last Updated: Apr-07-16 10:55 AM EST –

I stated in my post that a stern bag would be sufficient. If OP really wanted a bow bag it would just need to be something that could be stuffed under the foam pillar. In that case it could be secured any number of ways, the easiest of which would probably be via tether to the pillar. There really is no need for bow flotation though.