Practicing Rolls Alone?

“… but rolling is most easily done with a hip snap that plants the boat under one’s bottom…”

I find a sweep roll with steady pressure from a knee easier than a hip snap (C to C).

I have almost no hip snap in most of the rolls I can do, the exception being the screw roll which I rarely use IRL. I don’t consider hip rotation, which is necessary for most any kind of roll, to be a hip snap.

In “this is the Season 3” Sherry Perry says she let her son play on the beach and she practiced rolls.

Yeah, no hip snap for me either, or any other sudden movements. It’s a pretty calm sweep of the paddle across the surface, or near surface of the water that brings me up. Can pretty much be done in slow-mo, at least with a GP in extended paddle position.

This info is likely to go over the OP’s head so early on.

Best to learn using a Euro, as rolling with an extended GP is simpler.

Either way, no problem doing it alone with some common sense.

“Best to learn using a Euro, as rolling with an extended GP is simpler.”

-not sure I get the logic of that

Lots of people are attracted to the GP because it’s easy to lever yourself up with. Many of those never get beyond using the GP as a big lever.

@Sparky961 said:
Lots of people are attracted to the GP because it’s easy to lever yourself up with. Many of those never get beyond using the GP as a big lever.

This method of levering up has nothing to do with whether or not you are using a Greenland Paddle. The same poor style can, and is done, with an extended Euro Paddle {Pauletta Kayak Roll} Many times this cures itself because of breaking the paddle. Bad Habits are way harder to break than just getting in contact with a competent instructor, that knows more than one roll. Some people learn an Angel roll easier as a first roll, Some kayaks lend themselves to forward finish. And some people learn a hands only roll first . {incorporating The paddle can be confusing to some people, sometimes} As I said in my above post, work on kayak control in a non stressful/safe way and since you don’t have roll yet…you can’t practice a roll. Connect with a competent instructor. Don’t learn bad habits, and learn to roll with the use of the smallest amount of energy possible. Once you actually have a roll…then you can practice and still might develop bad habits so it’s good to try…but return periodically to get a critique {from a competent instructor} Many times after rolling …confusion as to how it was accomplished creeps in. The key is the competent instructor.

My point was that starting with a GP can make it easier to develop bad habits because its easier. My point was also that we’re getting way beyond what was originally asked.

Sounds like you are very comfortable with a wet exit, so find some shallow water and roll at will. Be sure to take a break and stop for the day before you get too tired.

Also, assess what you did after each roll and visualize how to correct it - isn’t that an easy way to take a break/catch your breath?. A video camera can really help to show you what you did.- I usually do 2 or 3 rolls and then review the camera. If a pool is available, use an underwater camera too see what is happening in the submerged portion of your roll. Be willing to try both sides early on. Which side will a wave knock you over from?? I do not know either, so learn a roll on both sides.

I think practicing rolling alone is not good. Safety is my primary concern! I also want some eyes on my roll to tell me what I’m doing correctly and what I’m doing wrong.

1 Like

@gjf12 said:
Two reasons not: First, it is very tiring to have to exit multiple times, drain the boat, then relaunch to try again. Secondly, it is best to have someone see what you are doing wrong.

I would agree with gif12. I have a friend to practice with. However, once I had a dependable roll I would also practice alone. A dependable roll is a good basis for learning more, and I continue to learn, either alone or with company.

I’ve been taking advantage of free rafting trips and going as much as I can. I get to learn the water in a much more forgiving boat, which I’m sure will be useful very soon. And more importantly I’m around guides who spend half their lives in kayaks. I’ve been talking to them every chance I get and asking them to work on my roll with me.

As I mentioned already, I don’t want to develop bad habits. But even more I don’t want to drown. That would sort of ruin my day you know?

Some other’s had expressed concern I may not have a competent instructor. I am confident that I have a very competent instructor. While I don’t really know anything about kayaking, I can see how the company is run since I’m spending as much time around it as I can. Nothing they do is by accident. This person wouldn’t be in the position he is in if he was questionable at all. I can tell you how he was doing front flips in his boat or post some links to him in class V water but that doesn’t mean he is qualified to teach in anyway at all. So I won’t… What I will say is he has taught hundreds of people to roll and much more. He is knowledgeable, patient, communicates amazingly, and truly seems to want to help other’s progress. I don’t want to name drop, but I wouldn’t be shocked if some of the posters here knew who he was.

I would wait till next Wednesday. Bad habitats are BAD.

That said the 2 things that helped me the most was when an instructor pointed out when I set up to point my chin at the sky, and keep by boat side arm at my side as I swept the paddle. I was lifting the arm causing the paddle to dive, and lifting my head too early.

It is best to have an instructor catch your mistakes and correct them. Much faster learning curve that way.

Practicing with a paddle float or in very shallow water to improve boat control is helpful, but where not enough for me as my mistakes were body position which the instructor caught right away.

@castoff said:
I would wait till next Wednesday. Bad habitats are BAD.

That said the 2 things that helped me the most was when an instructor pointed out when I set up to point my chin at the sky, and keep by boat side arm at my side as I swept the paddle. I was lifting the arm causing the paddle to dive, and lifting my head too early.

It is best to have an instructor catch your mistakes and correct them. Much faster learning curve that way.

Practicing with a paddle float or in very shallow water to improve boat control is helpful, but where not enough for me as my mistakes were body position which the instructor caught right away.

You can roll?

Rolling is about using your body for flotation to come up. this is how I do it, me in Valley Avocet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NJdyB76UNM&feature=youtu.be

I would have anyone there just so peeps don’t think Ineed help. 1st time in shallow beach sandy bottom someone came to help me. I stopped bc when that person moved along someone else would be there to help. People in Marine City, MI are so nice and always helpful. I was seeking cover from a ships waves in the St. Clair River and a women came at least 50 yards from 2 lane road to check if I needed help. I love Marine City people.

Some hulls just don’t allow this. I, for one, will be upside down in my boat and it will not lie on it’s side with, or without, me in the cockpit. While I have seen plenty of folks do this during rolling sessions with the few club outings I’ve been on, it just isn’t possible in some boats. I’ve never owned a hull that allowed for it.

Rolling up from here is certainly easier than from a completely capsized position, so the next hull I purchase will probably have this as an attribute.

I created a couple different floating devices. When I practice rolling alone I tie one to one end of a rope and the other end of the rope to the perimeter line of my kayak for when I practice alone. The rope is long enough to float on the surface of the water when I go over without interference. If I tire out and can’t make it up, I grab the rope and pull myself upright. Works well and I never have to wet exit, re-enter using a paddle float, bail out water, etc.

Hmmm. Interesting idea. But have you not gotten tangled when setting up on the side with the rope? What float works best?