Pressure relief in bulkhead compartment

Lots of leaks are fixed by a hole!

– Last Updated: Aug-19-08 11:32 PM EST –

A tiny bulkhead hole allows pressure equalization. Very tight compatments can blow covers when crossing Mt. passes etc. Foam bulkheads have even shifted in boats with Valley hatch covers.

Now, take a hot boat from your car and drop it in 45 degree water. Hatches suck down right? Yep, and that's no big deal other than the compartment is now in a vacuum state. Any micro cracks etc now have water being "sucked" into them so to speak. Weird very minor nagging leaks have been cured by relieving this suction. Burping is smart, but pressure changes happen even when on the water.

I have done this for years and recommend it. There's no downside that I can see.

Do whatever floats ya'lls boat.

Does your dealer sell mesh sprayskirts?
Sheesh.

Even smaller stuff…
… like waves breaking over a sun heated deck - can cause water to suck in around some hatch seals and such. Doesn’t happen if vented.

Still haven’t gotten to mine yet - but when water and air are both 90 degrees and you live very close to sea level, there aren’t much if and pressure changes and seals remain soft, so things like this can slide…

Hole should be more centered…
… to avoid this rolling/inverted issue. Did it come this way from QCC? Mine came unvented, but that was like 6 years ago.

Do you have skeg or rudder? I don’t know how they do the rudder tubes, but if they’re still doing the skeg tubes the same way you’ll get part of a skeg box full of water draining into in the rear compartment on every roll. Before noticing this I’d been blaming the hatch covers. I redid mine so there is continuous tubing running from box to bulkhead now and the compartment stays pretty darn dry now after multiple rolls.

latest Epics I saw had bulkhead vents…

sheeeew

Steve beat me to it … I use a 10p nail
shite … to use another sh word in this thread : )

Don’t test this one though Bob…
Seen tons of boats get ‘blown out’ by less …

Lots of once nice, now soggy Hobie cats out there to prove this too.

From beach to the Big Bear regatta with the plugs left in … doh !

Not sure how much pressure a human can blow but if thats enough to get a boat to start complaining.

tuna sandwich left inside

Yep, that’s why…
…venting your bulkheads can result in dryer compartments. I noticed that immediately when I started venting all of my bulkheads.

Ahhhh, I think I understand
CD1 has taken the suggestion from “his outfitter” at Geneva Kayak to drill the hatch covers on his sectional Valley Aquanaut and tried to universally apply the same logic to venting the compartments on one piece boats.

Seriously dude, more paddling and less blathering of confused, misinterpreted and unfounded “advice” on P.net.

that would be my Explorer
My hatches are extremely air tight. I forgot to take them off and drove from sea level up to Asheville, NC. When I stopped for gas and checked my kayak I noticed that not only were the hatches bulging outward, but the deck was also bulging outward.

Fortunately I haven’t noticed too many bad side effects to my deck.

Yep … came that way from QCC …
… but, as I mentioned, the boat was upside down frequently, with me out of it, and for sometimes prolonged periods of time. All things considered, the relatively small amount of water that got through wasn’t an issue (to me). I can’t roll (yet) and during a real assisted or self-recovery I can have the boat uprighted in a very short period of time so I imagine the amount of water that would get in there could be measured in teaspoons (or less).

I suppose they put the hole up that high so it wouldn’t get blocked/closed by a dry bag or something else when packing it for camping, unless you’re stuffing the entire compartment all the way to the top!

And … it does have a skeg …
… with continuous tubing shielding the wire from the skeg box through the bulkhead so no water is getting in through there.

Hey - you just invented the:
“scupper hole”

Congratulations !

Cheers,

JackL

For my next invention
I’m going to add a lot of floatation and cut off the deck to enhance the performance of those “scupper holes” as you call them.

I’m not sure what to call this topless self-draining kayak. Any suggestions?

36 replies
all to address stabbing a freaking hole in a b/h.

you guys gotta get out more.

steve

not so subtle next time
but I agree.

excellent
…and a drain plug can double as a pee outlet!

how about a “Pee on Top” ?