price negotiation on new kayaks

Another twist…
Just thought I add another possible twist to this situation. Local paddle shop here, the guys have been very helpful in the two visits I have made and really honest etc. Unfortunately I found a 2nd hand boat in near new condition for a great price. Much much better quality boat to what i could afford new. Now I will buy pretty much all accessories at this shop and when I can afford a NEW boat one day it will be ordered through them.

I think that if you are budget conscious and you are getting a better boat (rather than the same boat cheaper) then I would look elsewhere for the big purchase because it impacts directly on your paddling experience!

Still showing that shop loyalty where I can, and I guess not supporting a multi national chain so a different situation.

Any comments

Gotta hand it to you . . .
You’ve managed to keep your composure even though some of us have come down on you pretty hard. I don’t see anything wrong with taking your time making a decision. In fact, I think you are smart to do so. It beats spending $1,500 on a boat you aren’t going to like. And best of luck to you in working out something that is satisfactory to everyone concerned.

Right and wrong and "fair"
are human costructs. Nature is none of the above. This is just an issue of how people make purchases, and an evolution of the free marketplace. Do what is right “for you”. Nuff already…

beyond good and evil
the world itself is the will to power - and nothing else! and you yourself are the will to power - and nothing else!

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants a kayak, as the most dangerous plaything.

I guess you are slow at reading too.
the truck make is right there in my first sentence.

Slow down, relax, buy a boat and go paddling.

Cheers,

JackL

no the most dangerous plaything
would be a 21 year old girlfreind named Lola

the countdown is on Edie
don’t let us down, 10, 9, 8…

keep it going!

Seriously my take on it is…

…ask for a deal, just don’t get all pissy if they

turn you down.

turned the boat
into the wind and felt the late April Adirondack cold, though dry suit dressed for the day, begin to seep though the hull.

At that moment, and at the many other moments spent happily on the water, not once have I thought about the price I paid for the boat I was paddling.

Matt,

My point is this: think locally when buying boats or brocolli; and then get out of your head and onto the water.

Mike

Something sounds exactly …
… correct about what Mike T just said !!!

Simple
You value and used their advice.

Pay their price.

jim

Paralysis by Analysis
I am an anal shopper, but this is nuts.

I became an Internet boat shopper when I turned to whitewater. Mostly out of convenience. But in the last year I have experienced a level of service from a local bike shop that has altered my way of thinking about buying recreational toys.

There are three bike shops located within 200 feet of each other in a town about 20 miles from me. I shopped all three and bought from the shop with the highest comparable bike price. Again, I am a Nazi about my money, so we are on a level playing field.

I had a $600 budget when I started and I ended up with an $800 bike and $300 in accessories. how did this happen? The two shops that lost out only appeared to want to sell a bike, even to the point of bad mouthing the other shops and offer to price match. The shop that got my business, took a huge amount of time to make sure that my fit was correct, change out my wheels to something that more suited my weight along with other services.

Since then, I have been back with my bike 4 times and 3 of those trips, the problem I thought I had was in my head, but they made significant adjustment anyway at no charge. Recently ( a full year after the sale) my computer stopped working. I took it in they gave me a new one.

GO BUY THE BOAT. Whether you pay $1500 or $1300 or whatever, an hour after you paddle the boat it will be one of the best purchases you have ever made.

Good Luck

Jay

I think this should settle the case
or do we want to write a thesis on the matter?

Pleeease for the love of kayaking… :slight_smile:

why stop now, almost there!

Last few posts are excellent!
Just remember also that your hard-saved money is going to PEOPLE. I choose to forward my money to the best people. And we all can sense good people. Pretty much as simple as that.

time paddling is more worthwhile
than time looking.My opinion, yours may differ. There, 100…we did it!!

I agree completely
Honestly. And JBV put it best.

Honestly mbrickell I think you DO need to go kick tires. Or make an offer and be done with it. But if you’re still questioning boat types you’re not at that point. If this decision is as critical as you have made it seem to be (please take some responsibility here, it’s not everyone else’s deal) then you need to kick more tires.

Yup, an’ not one mention of
guns, pfds, bow an’ stern lines an’ P140’s favoorite movin’ pictures.

FE

you need to call this guy!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBNL9xx3Ie0

:-)))))