price/value check before we buy. Wenonah BW 17

Was getting ready to buy a Penobscot 17 Royalex used almost new for 1300 for our first family day trip, fishing and next year BW canoe and up comes a Wenonah Boundary waters 17 in Tuff weave “pristine” condition for 1900 negotiated. I know they are bringing about 2600 plus tax new and it is about 4 years old…Is this an ok price? Don’t find ones like this around me much.

Seems inline to me for 4 years old and being pristine. Serial number will tell you the year check it out last two digits are year.sure you may find something two hundred cheaper depends on how long you want to look. Plus you’re not paying tax.

I think $1900 for a used, fiberglass tandem canoe is a bit on the steep side, but it all depends on the market in your area and your alternatives.

700 off is more than 25% plus tax I am using for a general rule. Not much knowledge about canoes I really follow kayaks. Rough rule I use for most things is 50% at ten years. Scarcity, condition, and desire all play a roll. Do you really like that particular canoe?

Well, update. It is actually 11 years old in a month or two…How much more should that reduce the price in your opinion? I am concerned that the resins, clear coat etc will continue to age even if stored in optimum conditions and in my mind should adjust the price.

1200-1300 out of sun resins will be fine. I have 99 & 00 kayaks that are fine. Google similar value boats or same around the entire country to see prices. Most prices will drop 10% at least if negotiated. Offer low you can come up but not go down. Take a close look at it. In person. Are you looking at pictures or in person?

I would not worry about the age. Wenonah Tuff-weave canoes are well made and quite durable. They are often more durable than the Kevlar versions of the same hull. The only problem is they are significantly heavier.

I suspect that boat is going to weigh about 65 lbs. That is simply more than many people are willing to lift or portage. And that means that the market value for Tuff-weave canoes is simply not as high as that for Kevlar versions of the same make in the same condition.

But if you don’t see that much weight as being a problem and the canoe fits your needs and is cheaper than other locally available alternatives, there is no reason not to go for it.