Prijon Combi Skeg (a long-winded essay)

I don’t know if anyone else still has a Prijon Combi. I got mine 8 or so years ago as a new remainder at a sporting good store’s sidewalk sale. My eyes grew big when I saw it was available, and I got even more excited when I was told it was $300. It was fitted out with the standard skid plate, and I have used the boat extensively on flat water rivers (Pine Barrens, etc) and reservoirs. The speed is decent for a 12 ft boat (on a good day, 35 min to go 1.7 mi on the lake). It is super maneuverable, and just plain fun. Recently, I saw that Blue Mountain Outfitters had the optional bolt-on skeg for the boat. I got super stoked and ordered it right away. I finally got to try the skeg yesterday. The boat paddles faster as a result, but loses a bit of the fun factor. If I were guessing, it feels as if the boat got lengthened by two feet. Instead of a whitewater stroke, I am now able to do a high angle touring stroke. Anyway, my curiosity got satisfied. I think I’ll keep the skeg on for this coming year and see how I feel at the end of the season.

not much new
A bolt on skeg, kinda like the old Greenlander’s strap on skegs for their skin on frame kayaks. Not much new under the sun.

Bill H.

Agreed
A bolt on skeg feels like a real anachronism in these days of true crossovers with integral drop skegs. Back when I got the Combi, it and the Prijon Yukon (which I also have) were the only river/touring boats that were not rec boats. Those were the days of the Jackson All Water and the Dagger Blackwater and before the advent of the Dagger Approach. My hope with the skeg was to convert the Combi from being a crossover to being a compact tourer. I have also put a float bag in the spacious bow just in case, or just because.