Private kayak shuttle service

I’ve been thinking about offering my services in the NJ area for kayak shuttling for people that don’t want an out and back paddle but don’t have the means to support such a trip. My question: in the absence of a formal outfitter in the area would you be willing to hire a private kayak shuttle service in such a scenario? If so, what do you think would be a reasonable price to pay per person/boat?

I’ve done it a few times but it’s been years. I thought it was pricey but the time savings were worth it. As I recall it was $50 each.

Regarding cost, we got a shuttle biking the Mickleson Trail five years ago. He was charging a dollar a mile of his driving distance (out and back). At the time the IRS figured the operational cost of driving (and what you could write off as a business expense) was $.50 a mile, so he was netting 50 cents. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-issues-standard-mileage-rates-for-2024-mileage-rate-increases-to-67-cents-a-mile-up-1-point-5-cents-from-2023
The IRS figure includes gas, maintenance, insurance and depreciation.

On my favorite river in FL they charge $60 plus tax for 4-5 hours kayak rent and shuttle back (kayak run 9 miles, don’t know how much by road). I think it is reasonable.

The trick will be getting your availability out to your target audience. You’ll also need to register as a business with your state or county as well as with the IRS.

Research any licenses you may need including whether you will need a zoning permit to store a trailer used for commercial purposes on your property. Commercial liability insurance will be expensive and will have to cover whatever vehicle you use. Commercial use will likely void a personal vehicle policy.

A business bank account is preferred so you do not comingle personal and business monies.

Bear in mind that if successful the majority of your business will be at all hours and heaviest on weekends and holidays when most people would prefer to be not working.

Report all income. If the IRS and State find you are under reporting, they have a nasty habit of estimating the maximum amount that you could have earned and it’s up to you to prove otherwise. They tend to monitor businesses that have cash income more closely.