proper storage of coleman

A friend of mine has an ancient coleman 17 foot ram x canoe. He use to keep it up in Maine but has sold his camp up there and now has this canoe under his deck. For a really old coleman it still has its shape. I don’t know how he stored it up there but was hoping some one might have some tips to keep it in shape here in Sunny North Carolina. He will probably use it once a year so i could not in good conscience recommend what I would want to paddle.

If possible, support it bottom up on
leveled crossbars. If his deck is like mine, the boat will still get some sun on it through cracks between the deck boards, so it is worth putting a coat of 303 on it before a long storage period.

The main goal is to keep the plastic hull in its original shape so that heat and mechanical forces cause it to sag.

storage
Put it on a couple chunks of 4x4’s with pool noodle to keep the gunwales from being beat up. Cover it with a tarp, silver side up, leave a little space so the heat from the greenhouse effect is not to bad, shade is your friend, John

storage
Put it on a couple chunks of 4x4’s with pool noodle to keep the gunwales from being beat up. Cover it with a tarp, silver side up, leave a little space so the heat from the greenhouse effect is not to bad, shade is your friend, John

I used to keep my OT Discovery out
exposed to the sun, but kept a tarp over it.

That was over ten years ago, and it is still in good shape.

Tell him to get one of those tarps with one side that is silver, and to keep the silver side out.

Also if he has any of the high density foam inside it, (like for kneeling, etc) the squirrels love to chew on it.

And lastly “the bride” is always using 303 on all the boats, and that gives them good UV protection.

How did you do Saturday ???

Jack L

I survived
I was in the shortest canoe so they put me in C1 rec.It was still a couple of hours. I felt sorry for Mike and john and Moe tearing up their boats, but it was the only way I was going to pass them!

are the Coleman RamX canoes …
… made of Crosslink or Linear polyethylene ??

Are they MDPE , HDPE or what ??