Proper storage

So I have my extend a bed figured out. Now on to storage. I will be storing my WeNoNah outside under a covered car port. Have been told not to store on the hull however in mopst of the shops I have been to that is exactly how they are stored. Others have told me never store hull up as it is hard on the gunwales.(sp?)

Is there a best storage method? I actually had considered hull up with foam blocks supporting the sides.

Any help is appreciated.

J

On hull, on gunwales, no difference.

We store ours upside down with the
gunnels on two cross pieces of carpet wood.

Some of them have wood gunnels, some aluminum and some plastic, and never had a problem.

cheers,

jackL

storage
Dealers store boats in a way that shows off the boat to it’s best advantage, so they are normally upright. They usually also don’t hold stock for long periods and generally have temperature controlled stores so they boats arn’t subject to high heat when stored that way.

They should be stored by you upside down, sitting on the gunwales. I like to set them on the foam blocks used for roof top racks since they spread the load over a bigger area.

Bill H.

kayak storage
We have been told to store yaks on their sides in a j rack, never upside down. Over time the heat will distort the boat shape. Through out the winter(off season they are stored on their sides in a web sling up into the garage trusses.

For best storage, contact your boats’ manufacturer. They will give the best advice based on how your boat is made and the best way to store/transport it.

storage
Poly kayaks are commonly stored on their sides because they are stronger that way. Most canoes though with no deck to reinforce the gunwales don’t have the same structure so they aren’t stronger at the gunwales. The gunwales on most canoes are the strong spot, thus storing them on the gunwales is a good idea.

Good idea to talk the manufacturer for their recommendation.

Bill H.

Canoes: upside down on gunwales
And preferably in a climate controlled room at the Smithsonian.

If there is any chance of wind blowing them around, lightly strap them down.

Keep them out of the sun, somehow. All of my canoes are not only sun damaged, but asymmetrically sun damaged because they stick out partially from under my back porch. Good thing asymmetry in canoes is au courant and hip these days.