Prowler 13 vs Pescador 12?

Greeting all,

New to the forum, but hoping to get some quick feedback as I need to make a decision soon. The situation: looking for a beginner angling yak for my 13 year old son. He’s already 5’6 and 130lbs, and growing quickly, so no reason not to go full size. He’s a beginner fisherman so not looking for anything serious. Really what I want is a good all around kayak that he can fish from, but also be able to take out and just have fun in the waves, jump off of, etc.

I’ve narrowed it down to two boats- the Ocean Prowler 13 Angler and the Perception Pescador 12 Angler. So far, I see the advantage to the Prowler being the slightly longer length, while the Perception comes with a Scotty holder and an anchor and trolley kit. The Prowler is about $100 more, though I’m not concerned with the extra price if it is indeed a better boat.

Any thoughts? Again, really looking for an all around fun boat- we do rivers, flat water, and bay- sometimes fishing, sometimes not.

Thank very much!

Always go longer
if that is the only difference between 2 SOTs with similar features, as long as it can be hauled and stored with what you’ve got. More length = easier to paddle. Even between a 12 and a 13.5 there will be a big difference, especially if there is a bit of wave action.

(I am biased, I have an older Prowler. Great boat.)

Go
with the Prowler! One of the very best.

I have
the Prowler.IMO it’s easily the better of the two.Check ACK.They often have excellent deals/free shipping on blem Prowlers.That’s where I got mine.Though a blem I have yet to find what/where the blem is.