Pruning Saws?

Does anyone carry a folding pruning saw while paddling creeks? I have scouted a few of the local creeks from the road way and I can see deadfalls across most of them. My “Canoeing & Kayaking Guide to Kentucky” mentions deadfalls and strainers on quite a few of the creeks and small rivers I would like to try. I have considered buying a folding pruning saw and carrying it with me to clear at least a path through them. Is this a reasonable idea or should I just beach it and drag the kayak around the blockage on the bank? None of the creeks I am considering have any appreciable current. But I still wonder if it is a good idea.

Budd

try one of these
http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?ctlg=05NDC&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CAMPING&C3=CAMPEQUIP&C4=&LV=3&item=12073

Full size bow saw
is what I carry if the river is not rated too high, and if it is the 1st run of the season or it’s after a big rise in river level. I cut a section of large foam “pool noodle” to serve as a blade guard/ float. I haven’t lost it yet or cut myself and it works way better than a folding saw.

Full size bow saw
is what I carry if the river is not rated too high, and if it is the 1st run of the season or it’s after a big rise in river level. I cut a section of large foam “pool noodle” to serve as a blade guard/ float. I haven’t lost it yet or cut myself and it works way better than a folding saw.

I carry a portable buck saw
for trees to 12 in diameter.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=44171&cat=2,42706,40721&ap=1

It gets used heavily…I travel in the boreal forest where a saw is a necessity and not a luxury…blowdowns are a fact of life and we are reopening some portages not used since the decline of fur trading.

Now if I could only find a brush hook for alders.

Wal-Mart
has a nice saw in a sheeth and is very sharp. I wouldnt go camping without one

Wal-Mart
has a nice saw in a sheeth and is very sharp. I wouldnt go camping without one

Going beyond
I take a Stihl 024 chain saw and cut them up carefully in 10 and 12 inch pieces.

Some may disagree with this but that’s life. I don’t bother anything on shore but I clear rivers and creeks of dangerous debris to paddlers and blockages that destroy land.

I guess if you think paddling without a PFD is dangerous, putting a chain saw between the legs is really going beyond.

Paddlin’ on

Richard

Brush Cutter.
Gerber has a nice looking brush cutter with a hooked blade you might want to take a look at.

Tom

L

– Last Updated: Mar-30-08 9:16 AM EST –

what GK said, nothing beats a chain saw, OTOH i have yet to find a folding saw thats worth anything, your second best choice would be a NON-Folding bow-saw, the Biggest one you can get..

Just a 024? More Power!!
Good for you. Your going to open a lot more canoeing with that then a bow saw.

If your clearing a waterway, (and it’s legal) take a CS

Just my opinion and everyones entitled to it

GK, it is only dangerous if it is
making noise.

Stihl 024
Is perfect. I use the same saw when i am kayaking. Highly recommend the ole’ chainsaw on trips. I have had a drybag forever for mine… And carry spare gas in MSR bottles, a file, and a qt of bar oil, all in one nice little package.

The Stihl 024 is perfect because it does not take any tools to adjust the chain. And still tears through things at a pretty good rate…

Sven saw
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39292731&engine=googlebase&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_term=81057&CS_003=2477120&CS_010=81057

The above works good if you really need the portability, if not, I’d simply recommend a full size bow saw.

Also, an 8" folding Gerber saw works pretty good for the small ones, I use one when doing trail maintenance (hiking trail) in the catskills as well as a full size bow saw. I also carry a 24" iberglass chopping axe from Fiskars too.

Jay

Sawvivor
http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/browse.cfm/4,6090.html

cuts like butta’

Quicker than my MS-260 for one or two cuts, and obviously lighter

Much more substantial than other folders and packs better than a fixed-frame bow saw.

I’ll leave you to your own choices about the propriety of cutting deadfall/strainers.

Hand chain saw
One problem I have had is that a chainsaw doesn’t work with the bar under water.There always seems to ba a limb under the water that is the key to the whole mess.I bought a hand chainsaw from campmoor to try this year.It,s like a heavy duty wire saw that you pull fron each end.I’ll let you know if it works.

Turtle

Swen saw
A pruning saw will work with smaller branches, but

anything larger will be tough. You’re better off with a bow saw.

I like the folding Swen Saw. I use it for backpacking, but it’s ideal for a canoe or kayak, as it doesn’t take up much room when folded. You can get it at Campmor.

http://www.svensaw.com/

Ok
i forgot about the Sven saws, they are good, and probbally the best folding saws around. however a non-folding bow-saw still has a slight edge.

L
They dont… i mean they are “Ok” at best… they really shine for removing an over head brance thats out of reach.

A vote against Sven Saws
Bought one in 1968. Used it heavily, but over teh years of tightening the blade the spine took on a bow shape.

I believe the Sawvivor is far superior. The small model will cut a larger diameter log due to it’s buck-saw shape. There are no small parts to drop into the leaf litter, or into the river. And there is a larger size available for teh bigger stuff.

As for chainsaws, my old Stihl 024 is a gem. Keep the blade sharp, keep it tuned and it will perform like a champ for clearing work. And carry it a couple of miles doing trail work and it won’t wear you out either.

Jim