pungo 120 vs old town direigo

hi

i’m looking to purchase a yak for fishing, i need a sit in cause of water temps in the fall

im looking at the wilderness systems pungo and old town direigo

does anyone have any experience with these boats??

also, both make an angler version, but i’m thinking it may be better to outfit the boat my self

anything would be helpful

thanks

JC

pungo

I see a lot off great comment on the pungo.

got cople off people here(ontario/canada) that have them and they love it.

there is tons off great sites that talk about them.

good luck.

joco

Pungo

– Last Updated: Mar-19-07 9:06 PM EST –

Last year I was looking at the same choices and I opted for the Pungo after following advice I read here, Demo Demo Demo.. They are both nice boats, I thought the Pungo paddled easier and straighter, seat is very comfortable. Overall weight helped me decide. Me and my aching back have no problem cartopping the Pungo (Dirigo seemed heavier). Both boats have large cockpits with room for fishing gear. I thought I liked the drywell and dash board in the Dirigo, but decided a drybag would work just as well and maybe better. The Pungo has a slight "V" shaped hull and cuts thru the water, seems to be less affected by wind compared to flat bottom boats I paddle with. I have not added a rod holder yet, haven't found the need. My next addition will be a half skirt or splash deck and my paddlin ride will be complete! Either way, sounds like you will be paddlin, enjoy !

Don’t discount the Pamilico, nice
fishing craft, or the Dagger Blackwater. The Perception Acadia and the Necky Manitou are also possible choices. The Hurricane’s are also nice craft. I’ve a Loon 138, the brother kayak of the Dirigo’s. The weight is an issue, especially when loading up on a rack well over 6 ft off the ground, but its a great paddling kayak, as well as a good fishing one. The polylink is tough stuff, though. Much tougher than most rotomolded plastics.

I suspect the Dirigo is much the same. I like the flat stern deck. That would make it a lot easier to carry camping and other stuff on a river fishing trip.

Both good boats
You don’t have a wrong choice to make between them. Nice position to be in. I second Earl’s recommendation of the Dagger Blackwater series.

If you’re fishing still water, you’re good with the two that you identified (and maybe consider the Dagger Blackwater). But if you’re going to be fishing in significant current, I’d recommend a Pamlico over the Pungo. The hard chines on the Pungo can take on some unusual characteristics in current. It’s not significant, and not the sort of thing that would cause you to flip, but you get kind of a “jerky” response which can be disconcerting. The Pamlico doesn’t have the multiple chines and you don’t get that. Dagger Blackwater is great in current too. It really cuts the water and is a pretty speedy boat for its size with great initial stability and more secondary stability than most recreational kayaks (which is pretty much none).

• Big D

pungo.
i got myself a pamlico 135 that i will convert to single person use…

the size off the hole to get in and out is big.

lot off space for stuff.

will rig it soon.

got that one because i want a dry rid…water ,up is is cold like 4 moths and froze 5 month.

i like sik for up here.

but i will get myselk a sit on top for summer months soon.

joco

Pungos have been good to me
I have 14 foot and 12 foot Pungos. The 14 foot one seems to move along faster but it seems to weathercock more in the wind.

I can get them on to my van myself, I’ve worked out how to get one up there anyway. I may have to help getting two up there at the same time.

They are very forgiving even when the speedboaters come zooming by creating giant waves and dumping a few gallons directly on me while I’m paddling.

Only problem is that if you are paddling with a group of folks in long sleek sea kayaks - it is harder to keep up with them.

Overall I’d recommend the Pungo. I hope to try an Eddyline Nighhawk someday though.

My take on Angler editions, most are
a waste of money. The rod holders are not always in the right place. I’m no fan of flush mount pipe rod holders, reels tend to stay wet and they take up cargo room below deck. I do like flush mounts for Scotties and Rams…don’t interfere with cargo and the holder itself is above deck and reels stay dry. Actually, my reels never stay dry the whole trip, always manage to dunk them one way or another, but at least they can dry out between dunkings. Also, Scotties, etc are adjustable.

If you get the Angler model, before you do, check out the cost of rod holders at Bass Pro or Cabela’s, then compare the difference in the basic kayak model and the angler edition. Also, make sure those rod holders are in the right place.

Pungo or Pamlico are good choices
I almost bought a Pungo last year but after testing a friends I quickly changed to a Pamlico 120 and the got the optional rudder. The rudder makes drift fishing great and it costs alittle less than the Pungo. I have of course done soem custom rigging to suit my fishing needs …and it is a great boat.

If the Pamlico isn’t for you…those guys with Pungo I know are also very happy with them …especially for fishing…but most wish they could have a rudder for more hands free fishing.

Cheers

I bought
the pungo 12 last fall and am very pleased with my purchased. After recommendations I paddled the Pamlico. Nice boat also but I liked the Pungo much better. Tracked better and the upgraded seat is allot more to my liking. Just better suited for my needs. What I did not like about the Dirago was the small storage compartment in front. Got in the way for my long leggs.