Pungo 120 ???

No easy fix
To answer the hatch question: if they are properly closed and still leak, there is no easy fix. If the hatch opening on the kayak is out of round or not tall enough or too tall, the cover will not seal properly and will leak. I had exactly this case on one of 12 hatches (covering 3 WS kayaks I had padled in the past) and there is nothing to be done that’s “easy” - it just leaks when rolled over or in dumping waves.

That said, if it leaks just a bit, especially on the Pungo, it should not be an issue as long as you are not planning on using it in rough water for many hours where the hatch would be contiuously underwared many times over. Rain or splashes should not be causing leaks.

I Am A Big Pungo Fan

– Last Updated: Dec-11-09 2:30 PM EST –

Install some "eyepads" and use bungees to secure the hatches. You can get them in sporting goods stores, or on the internet. They happen to have them at the store over at Topkayaker.com

You don't even need a rivet gun. Since the hatches provide access, you could just use a drill and nuts and bolts.

Actually this reminds me to do that. Kathy has been on me for years to get it done, and I just haven't gotten around to it.

I am a big Pungo fan. I admit that if I could only have one boat for myself, it would not be a Pungo. Fortunately, there is no law restricting a person to just one kayak.

I do beach launch and landing into heavy surf on the Pacific Ocean, play in sea caves, and in conditions where a Pungo is NOT SAFE,

BUT Kathy just has no desire to go out on the open ocean. Lots of people don't, and lots of people don't even have access to the ocean.

She picked out the Pungo. She is happy, so I am happy. I have paddled it myself and its very efficient. Not fast, but easy to paddle at low speeds. The short length makes it easy to handle on and off the water. Its very comfortable, and a lot drier and warmer than an SOT.

Its a great boat when used in the conditions it was designed for.

Frankly, I don't see the purpose of paddling a sea kayak on lakes and slow rivers. The difference between a "slow" kayak, and a "fast" kayak is a few miles an hour.

If you are not racing, or really paddling on the open ocean, go for the boat with the most comfortable seat.

But I did find the video funny. Someone should do a reverse on it about a guy who insists on having a Nordkapp to paddle the local mill pond.

That was F**n Hilarious!
As a Pungo owner and a guy who has had the pleasure of paddling with those who have both more and less skill than myself, I found myself in tears of laughter. Thanks for the link! LMAO!!

WS Rubber hatches
I know that some folks have had some issues with leaky WS hatches. I recall several folks complaining about leaky hatches on the Tempest on the earlier runs. I personally own an '05 Pungo 140 and have never had a problem with ‘em leakin’. If the seem to seal in the store and are not obviously loose then I’d say go for it. The price you mention is pretty good.

Good luck!

Big time pungo fan, have two 140’s and recommend this boat to all my friends who are big and tall. I have never had any problems with the rubber hatches, however I just purchased a pungo 120 for a spare for family and friends and have a hatch cover problem. My problem is the stock wilderness systems hatch will not stretch over the opening? I have tried cleaning, 303, heat?
I have not heard of this problem on any forum. My concern is If I buy a new cover it may not fit?

On the hatches… everyone above is correct. Even the ones who disagree with each other.

WS had a time period, and 2008 model year may be in it, where they tried out new rubber hatches of their own design. The first couple years or so they were notorious for leaking, or even more fun imploding when someone tried to do a self-rescue in their boats like the Tempest series. I saw exactly that happen at a class when someone put what is normal pressure on one during a paddle float self-rescue practice.

But that got fixed, not sure what they did but the problem seemed to go away.

So the worst case I see is that it turns out best to buy a couple of new hatches for this boat. It should be cheap enough used that the cost is not OK.