Pungo 120 ???

Im new to kayaking.I have an chance to buy a used Pungo 120.Its a 2008 year model. The seller said it had the rubber hatches and there were issues with these . What are the problems with these hatches and are there any easy fixes.

Hearsay
I don’t own one but i’ve heard that the hatch covers don’t fit well and can leak. However since the Pungo is a rec kayak, If it is used as intended the leaky hatches should not be a danger.

Only a problem if…
you decide you want to try and roll this boat or take it into dumping surf. Water can get in the hatches if the covers are not tight.

However, Pungo’s are not normally considered to be suitable for the above uses or priorities. They are generally recommended for people who spend their time upright in calm water. So, as above, not a problem. You can always put stuff into a dry bag in the hatch if you want to make sure things stay dry.

Pungo 140
I have a pungo 140 and I believe the hatches are the same. I have had no problems with mine. Don’t put any 303 or other type slippery cleaner on the rubber hatch underside rim or on the kayak side hatch rim and I think you will be fine.

How much
are they asking for it?

Additional info
The following link provides definitive information on all issues related to Pungos:

http://www.kayakquixotica.com/2009/11/25/i-will-take-my-pungo/

Asking
$450

If you weigh much over 200lb, get
a bigger boat.

Offer $200. n.m.

I wanna
buy it just to complete a expedition larger than most Nordkapp day trippers ever could in their lifes.

Am I the only guy who just doesnt find that video funny?

Most of the “intermediate” paddlers I’ve met in reality have paddled $3000 kayaks.Most had the same skill’s as a Pungo owner, just more money invested.

And yes I as well have a Nigel designed kayak. I am a BEGINNER paddler.

I hate kayak snobs.

I have a Pungo120 as a second boat.
I weigh 260 and have no trouble paddling this boat, so I would respectfully disagree with String on that matter.

As for the hatches, I’ve never had a problem with any WS rubber hatches, and this has been discussed in forums before. The rubber hatches on Wilderness System boats (I also have a Tsunami series with the same hatches) work fine. The key is making sure you fully seal the hatches all the way around. The inner lip of the rubber hatch MUST be pressed over the lip of the compartment all the way around. If you just press down in a couple of spots they can look sealed but not be. Press all around the rim and it will sort of snap in place. I can’t see any scenario in which you would or could roll this boat, but hey, you never know. We did land a guy on the moon.

As for price, they went up a hundred bucks this year for new boats, and there are not a lot of used Pungos to be had. If the boat’s in good shape and there are no extras, try offering $350 cash, but have the 450 cash on you. It’s a good price and a very good boat for what it does. Boat should also have a removeable “dashboard” that comes with it when new. If it doesn’t, you have more bargaining leverage. I recommend a harmony skirt. I think the size is 2.4, but double check that.

Relax…
It’s just a joke.

No one has a problem with Pungo’s or any other rec boats for that matter. I own both glass and strip built sea kayaks but still see a place for small play boats. Eventually I may actually buy one for fishing some local lakes. I think the only issue is that some folks think these smaller kayaks are suitable for big trips and rough coastal waters. Even more scarey, is when they head out in cold weather poorly dressed and un prepared. We read about these people.

Paddle what suits you’re needs and what makes you happy but be safe is all I have to say.

One of these days I’d like to build a Pungo skin on frame. :slight_smile:

Gary

275lbs in a pungo 120
I weigh 260-275 and have paddled both the pungo 120 and pungo 140. You’re right that the 120 will float you, but the 140 performs MUCH better with the higher load.

I have a Wilderness kayak
and have had no real trouble with the old style rubber hatch covers but know several people that have lost hatch covers on the highway while cartopping. The light rope meant to hold them will break if they pop off in the wind. They are over priced like all replacement parts so it’s best to make sure they are well seated before strapping them on the roof.

2 Likes

i have a pungo 120
and i have never had a hatch issue. i love my pungo.

No worries
Most hatches aren’t watertight, especially on rec boats. Not a big deal. If you just want to keep gear dry, use drybags. If you want them tight for a bulkhead, you can add air bags or foam for floatation. It’s certainly not a reason to pass up a good deal.

The Pungo is pretty stable to start with and most folks probably aren’t going to have them out at sea where the bulkheads are really important.And realistically the boat is going to swamp pretty bad even with a sealed bulkhead, so you aren’t likely to recover without some help unless you get out there and figure out how to get back in and get the water out beforehand.

jim

Thanks
Thanks to everyone for all the information.

A small qualification.
I weigh 240,have a lot of upper body strength ,and long arms. if I piddled in the Pungo,it was great. If I paddled hard,it settled in the water and bogged down.

I would agree there, string.
When I take the Pungo, it’s because my daughter wants my boat, or I’m doing some low stress paddling. I never have trouble keeping up in my Tsunami when paddling with longer/sleeker boats. Once, on a trip with a guy in a 16 footer whom I’d paddled with before, I was in the Pungo and working hard to keep up.

For car topping or the back of my pickup, I bungee the hatches separately.

me too
"Am I the only guy who just doesnt find that video funny?"

Nope, you not the only one. I didn’t even finish watching it before I closed it.