Pungo 140 for fishing ...comments?

I’m very close to purchasing a Pungo 140 to fish out of. Frankly the usable cockpit is a bit smaller than on my Perception Sundance. However I’m looking for something with a better seat. The Phase 3 system on the Pungo looks like it may work very well.

Any comments, both good or bad about the Pungo 140 for fishing would be greatly appreciated.

Its considered one of the better fishing
kayaks.

pungo.
if you do a little search in here you will find a lot off info about it.

if you are looking for fishing…its one off the best sit in kayak.

if i get one more kayak to fish in i will get a pungo 140…i am a big guy plus as tons off room to move in and it as pace to rig it.

i have right now a wilderness pamlico 135…duo tht i tranform in a solo fishing kayak and its perfect for me.

and have a sit on top emeotion fisherman…nice platform and ver stabile.

if you get the pungo you wont be desapointed its a great kayak.

there tons off great kayak fishing site all over the net…

most off them use sit on top kayak but most off them fish in oceans or hot water hot water and flats.

up here in onta quebec water is cold for a couple months a year so i loe my sit in.

joco

more info…
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=235

more
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1093

Always take the reviews with a grain
of salt, especially if looking for a fishing kayak. Most reviewers don’t have enough butt time in the kayak to make a good evaluation. That said, most of the rec kayaks make pretty good fishing boats and the Pungo is one of the best for that purpose.

No experience in the Pungo, but with all
I’ve read, I wish I’d gone for that instead of my Stingray 14. I like my SR, but I think the pungo might be a notch or two better at tracking and available accessories. That Pungo-specific fishing work deck by Harmony looks really good. Designed to fit the Pungo specifically, so I think it might be a poor fit on anything else.

Another thing to look at would be a Heritage Featherlite 12 or 14. That’s the other model I’m kicking myself for not going for instead of the SR.

A sit in is definitely the way to go if you ever paddle cold water, want to paddle against current, or long distances. I think they’re are few SOTs that compete on those issues, and even those are quite a bit heavier and a wet ride.

Good luck.

Thanks
Thanks everyone. Actually I do have experience in the sit in kayaks. I presently have two Perception Sundance 12 footers, which I love, sort of. I don’t like the seat, especially the new “improved” zone seat. My wife wants me to sell one of my yaks to her niece cheap, with the understanding that I can get a new one. Can’t beat that.

I was surprised. There is more room in the cockpit of my Sundance than in the Pungo. Not much but some. Still I think I will sell one of them to the niece and buy the Pungo 140. It has a better seat, and I will be able to put a bulkhead in the front.

I just wanted to know if there were any major

flaws that I should consider. I have read the reviews and do take them with a grain of salt. So many people state that the kayak they are reviewing is the best one they’ve ever paddled. Of course later in the review you read that it is the only one they’ve ever paddled.

Thanks again. All I need now is some warm weather.

Sell that sucker and get the Pungo
Maybe Pam 14 will sell you his Pamlico. I know, it takes a beating from everyone, but the Pamlicos are great fishing kayaks. They don’t build the 140 though.

Lol. No pam for me.
I don’t think it’s any improvement over the Stingray for what I want. Actually, for fishing, my America 11 is great. Can’t beat the maneuverability and it tracks great for an 11 footer. But I can’t paddle it against current for very long. It’s great for floating down current.

I’m thinking for non-fishing paddling, I want something long, narrow and efficient. I’ve considered the Featherlite 14, as it’s 3" narrower than the Stingray, but I might just hold out and buy something next Fall or Spring maybe more along the lines of a 16’ tourer. That should allow me to paddle several miles against current where I can only get a couple of miles per hour now with the Stingray.

YoS

mmmmmm
dont think its an improvement…mmm

dont underistement a pamlico.

i got a pamlico 135t…a duo tranform in a single kayak to fish…and its a great fishing machine…tons off place very comfortable…i can move around in it i can rig it a lot.

people should try one like i got and rig for solo and they might think a lot deferently.

tons off people just say coment about somthing they read somewhere hesle,but actualy never did try it themself.

i did try my wife pamlico 120 and was not that impres for me…big guy that want space and riging space.

its trak good…very stabile.

here it is.9sorry its a link )but it shoes a couple pict off it.

try one you wont be desapointed.

but again the best you can do…its try yourself the more kayak that you can this is the best way to see what you want .

i did try some kayak that i love the look off it but after i try them…i did not like it at all.

so try them all after you will see what you want.

joco

my yak…pamlico.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/948607442/m/7921008983

jooc

I wasn’t putting it down, Joco.
Compare it to a Stingray:

* Length: 14’

* Width: 28"

* Cockpit Size: 20" x 50"

* Stern Storage: 3234 in³#

* Capacity: 350 lbs.

* Weight: 52 lbs.

& good pictures here:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/593047437.html

They’re nearly identical in size, weight, similar shape, huge cockpit. But neither especially narrow or efficient at paddling against strong current. That was my only point, not to disparage the pammie. . . .

YoS

The longer boats aren’t going to be
as versatile for maneuvering, but will help get you upstream if narrow. You may want to take a look at the Current Designs Kestral. It comes in 120/140/160 lengths. All are, I believe, 25", about the minumum width for fishing stability in my opinion. A bit pricey, but good kayaks.

http://www.cdkayak.com/products/template/product_display.php?NID=90&SID=aed328f9a6f782bd5f9e9be24333cbe9

I was thinking more like a
Hurrican Tracer 160 for $1500. This would be more of a paddling longer distances w/ others, short-duration workouts type boat. I’d still keep the America 11 for lazy floating w/ the current and fishing. That thing is crazy stable and comfortable for that.

Met a guy on the river last Spring in his 70’s. He was going upriver in an 18’ long, 20" wide racing canoe, single blade, like nobody’s bidness. Said he could move about 4mph up and 7-8 down, depending on current, and with little effort. I believe him, as he was moving.

YoS

Kayak Fishing
Anybody out there ever fished the Oak Orchard river in a kayak in up state NY. We go each season for the salmon run as well as browntrout but only by wading in the stream (fly fishing).

Those things will move
There are a couple of guys who have narrow boats on the lake near me. When it rains heavily, the river fork that feed the lake flows like crazy. Its a pain to paddle up it in my Loon. But, they’ll go 12 miles upriver to paddle fast the return trip.

I

– Last Updated: Apr-16-08 3:00 PM EST –

finally got the chance to paddle mine for the first time the other day..I really love it..it keeps pace with the perception Illusion and that is one of the fastest plastic sot thats fishable,so I'm really happy..it has a great glide and takes very little effort to paddle and get up to speed..I don't have it rigged for fishing just yet,I'm gonna go out bone stock a few times to see where I want what.I'm going out for trout at the lake today as a matter of fact.I'm 250lbs and it fits me like a tight pair of pants..I like that cause I can lock in with my knees and hips,the secondary stability seems really nice although it isnt the fastest turning boat I've paddled..but it is a V hull.I'm gonna order the Kayak Konsole made by harmony from KFS soon and 2 rod holders will make this a very comfortable fishing kayak..

O and the phase 3 seat rocks

Tons of people use them
If you’re going to be fishing current a lot, I would recommend going shorter than 14’ in a rec boat. That said, if you’re fishing lakes or rivers with low current or few obstacles, the Pungo 140 would be a good choice.

Here’s what I think on the difference between the Pamlico and the Pungo - the Pungo has hard chines on the hull. These “activate” and can cause some choppy feeling results in current. The Pamlico does not. Whether this matters relates once again to whether you fish current a lot. The hard chines will have an effect on handling in stillwater if you’re moving fast too, but fishing often doesn’t involve paddling fast in lakes or rivers. Rambling. Getting back to the point, if you are going to be in moderate to strong current in a river or tidal estuary, I would recommend the Pamlico over the Pungo for smoother handling and boat control. That’s not to say the Pungo isn’t suitable for those conditions, it is to say that I think the Pamlico is MORE suited for those conditions.

• Big D

Pungo’s for fishing
I Am an avid bass fishermen and do most if not all my fishing from a pungo 120 with the harmony console.

I did however down-size my tackle box and now only carry one or two fishing poles to allow room for paddling.

I find fishing from my pungo to be very enjoyable and at 39lbs “duralite” i fish alot more because it takes little effort to throw this boat around.

Thanks I did purchase…
the Pungo 140. I’ve only had it out twice, but love it so far.