Pungo 140 Question

I have a 2012 Wilderness System “Pungo 140”. I was wondering if it is possible to install a rudder on this boat?

likely not easily
Likely it wouldn’t be easy to do. I don’t think the stern is made to take a rudder, but I haven’t looked closely at it to confirm. Look at the stern to see if there is an area that looks like it is made for a plate to bolt on to to attach the rudder. And also, look on the top deck on each side to see if there is a spot where cables would come out of if holes were drilled.

If it isn’t made to take a bolt on kit, it would likely be cheaper to sell the boat and buy one that has a rudder already.

Pungo 140 Rudder
Don’t think it will handle the rudder… Will have to address this next year. Thank you for your time and response.

Joe

pungo
It has a built in skeg, why rudder?

Pungo rudder

– Last Updated: Sep-13-15 4:52 PM EST –

I just bought another Pungo 140. Had one a couple of years ago and loved it. However was out for a longish paddle, 12 miles, and on the way back had a cross wind coming from behind pushing me towards the shore so I had to paddle 3-4 times on the left and then one on the right. After a few miles my shoulder was wore out, junk. Bothered me for the entire next year and I vowed to never have a kayak without a rudder again. Purchased a used 17' sea kayak and enjoyed it some but was never comfortable in it, always felt like it was going to roll whenever I moved.
So, did a little looking around and found the smarttrack rudder system. With a coupon code it cost $185 but my shoulder is worth it. Had to fabricate a mount for it, about $5 in metal stock, a little welding and paint. Here are some pictures of how I went about it. One of the reps spoke to said to just mount it to the back of the kayak directly but on this 2015 model there is a bump molded into the back that goes from top to bottom so here is how I got around that.
Guess I can't post pictures. If you want to send a message I can get them to you.

Good job. That is a serious rudder!

Pictures three years late?

And ya, why a rudder in the first place?

"Purchased a used 17’ sea kayak and enjoyed it some but was never comfortable in it, always felt like it was going to roll whenever I moved"

This logic is the same as never graduating from a tricycle to a bicycle for fear of falling over.

@string said:
Good job. That is a serious rudder!

Thanks, really happy with how it came out and how it’s worked out so far.

@Sparky961 said:
Pictures three years late?

And ya, why a rudder in the first place?

"Purchased a used 17’ sea kayak and enjoyed it some but was never comfortable in it, always felt like it was going to roll whenever I moved"

This logic is the same as never graduating from a tricycle to a bicycle for fear of falling over.

did you read the original post? and yeah, they changed the format so you can now just drop the pics in …the logic is that the pungo is so much easier to get into and out of and much more stable…big plus… especially when you’re a bigger guy in your mid sixties …

Many thanks to JBH14 for the pictures and help. Just got my “adapter” bracket completed. Now I just have to mount the rudder kit. If I figure the picture thing out I’ll post some pictures.
Earl

Nice!