Pungo vs Pamlico

My wife and I are about to purchase our first yaks! We will use them primarily in small lakes, ponds, slow moving rivers, but also some light ocean and ocassionaly class 1-2 whitewater.

We want small, easy to carry boats, so we are looking at the Pamlico 100 vs the Pungo 100. Is the Pungo worth the extra $?

I have heard that the Pamlico would be better in faster moving rivers taht the Pungo, but that this would be at the expence of tracking ability. Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Dagger Approach?
Little more pricey (~$700 if you shop around), but it seems pretty versatile. Has a skeg, dry hatch, and ww like foam bulkhead in the front. Waiting for the wife’s to show up any day now!

Aaron

just got a pungo
Boy you got that right about the tracking ability. Outstanding. I don’t know the Pamlico, but I had the pungo through some class 2 stuff this weekend and it was very balanced and stable. Didn’t kick out of the current either which was nice. I’m very pleased with the Pungo.

Pungo vs Pamlico
"I had the pungo through some class 2 stuff this weekend and it was very balanced and stable. Didn’t kick out of the current either which was nice. I’m very pleased with the Pungo."

So you find that the Pungo is maneuverable enough for class 2 water?

Any other input?

Different water Different boats
The Pamlico will turn better than the Pungo. Less Keel. Either will be fine if what you want is lake or wide slow rivers, but when you talk class II, your boat really needs to change. In the same vein you talk about coastal or big lakes and that really needs to be a different boat as well.

Bottom line is, if you don’t have any boat right now, you need to get something to get stated. The Pungo is a barge when it come to turning. That is a great thing when your on a lake and the wind is blowing, but not such a good thing when your on a twisty little river with rocks.

btw…Pungo owners, before you jump down my throat, I own two pungo’s myself :slight_smile:

It is not unreasonable to own two or three or four or five or … different boats. It is not logical to do that up front. Decide on what you plan to paddle the most first, be that flat or fast water and buy your boat based on that. Then, and this is very important, immediatly after you buy your first boat, start saving some money for your next. It will happen.

Good luck.

Jay

Pungo it is!!

– Last Updated: Jun-02-07 3:16 PM EST –

Thanks for all of the advice.

Although the Pungo is more $ I think that this is the way we should go since we will be using these primarily on still or slow moving water. Also, the real phase 3 seats on the Pungo are very are nice, as is the bulkhead.

EMS has them locally for $675 with a decent paddle and PFD.

Pamlico 140 is the true great entity of
kayaks. It tracks flawlessly, it manuvers flawlessly.