Putnam Pond / Adaks area

any suggestions for nice quiet paddling around this area of the adaks with best chances of seeing wildlife but not too long (3-4 hrs at a time) as we will have a couple of 10 yr olds with us kayaking. Figure if they are seeing neat stuff they will want to stay out on the water more. Thanks

an expert of that area

– Last Updated: Aug-03-06 2:39 PM EST –

I have spent much time camping, hiking, and canoeing in the area, with a published Adirondack article on Putnam Pond. The online version link is below. The pond is a small but interesting and undeveloped beauty, well away from the noise of road traffic. A small state-run campground at the pond is where we took our kids when young. The beach is small but nice. Motors are allowed on the pond(really a small lake), but its small size usually means just occasional smaller fishing boats. Canoes outnumber motorboats for sure. About the only time people bring larger boats and jet skis, foolishly, is on holiday weekends. Paddling and camping on the pond is still possible and accessible after Labor day, when the campground closes down, and is thus quieter. The shoreline around the campground region can be quit busy on weekends but there are enough more distant places to seek quiet. Typically, Common Loons nest on the pond and have been successful with chicks in the past. There is a resident beaver family. At night, I know of no other place where Barred Owls are so loud and frequently vocal.

The beauty of Putnam Pond is the extensive and easy trail network around for young children . .whether a flat hike to nearby wilderness ponds or up Treadway Mountain. The best review I can give you of this pond is an article I wrote below . . here is the online version:

http://www.adirondackexplorer.com/aquietcamps.htm

Also nearby, a hike to Goose Pond offers loons and Common Raven, Treadway Mtn. right now has extensive blueberries. Deer, black bear, and occasional moose wander through this region. As anywhere, an early morning/dawn paddle before the masses awake is the best way to see wildlife. For young children, one could drive into Ticonderoga to visit a superb fort and have bkfst at McDonalds! The walk to Rock Pond is super!

Jeff Nadler