PVC truck rack for Kayak/Canoe

http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1719

Looks like
a good solution to the problem. Do you know what the UV would do to the rack over time? Does it go brittle?

Poor Design
That rack may look good but I wouldn’t trust it very much. It’s too easy to break and is dependent upon a bow strap attached to the front of your vehicle. That strap distracts your vision, is a driving hazard and has to be tightened too much to give the rack any added strength. The only time a bow strap should be used, like that, is when there’s a possibilty of the rack failing or you’re using foam blocks. Putting the tailgate down and flagging your kayak would be better than that rack.

Looks strong but…
The rack itself I would bet is mighty dang strong, but the big weakness is not addressed or illustrated: how it is attached to the truck. This would be the hardest and most important part of this design. I like it though.

uv
Yes UV will deteriorate the PVC. The rack should be painted.

Pretty clunky looking if you ask me.

Scroll Down…
When the link opens use the scroll bar on the right…Mounted by 3" u bolts and screws through the bed…more pictures…

It still
seems like a reasonable solution to the problem of transporting a boat. The UV question I raised could be overcome with paint. The price is much less than a commercial rack. The glued joints would be better than screwed or heaven forbid nailed wooden racks. For an inexpensive solution, I think it makes a good case.

Poor Design???
I think it’s actually a clever solution. You don’t need to spend a pile of money on the brand name overpriced rack systems. As far as it being a poor design, I disagree…

“That rack may look good but I wouldn’t trust it very much. It’s too easy to break and is dependent upon a bow strap attached to the front of your vehicle.” Come on, it’s 3" PVC!! Take a 4 foot piece of 3" Schedule 40 PVC, support both ends and see how much load it takes to break it. Probably a whole lot more than that 40 or so pound kayak. I’ll bet you won’t even see any deflection in the horizontal pieces even with 2 kayaks on top.

“That strap distracts your vision, is a driving hazard and has to be tightened too much to give the rack any added strength. The only time a bow strap should be used, like that, is when there’s a possibilty of the rack failing or you’re using foam blocks.” No amount of tightening of the strap will add strength to the rack. I thought bow and stern lines should always be used in the event of a rack failure or the main attachment straps coming loose.

“Putting the tailgate down and flagging your kayak would be better than that rack.” Agreed, but definitely not as cool!

UV…
How many years would it take to break down a removable 65.00 rack?..seems a moot point considering…yep paint, but I’d do it just to match the truck as much as I would UV concerns…

PVC

– Last Updated: Aug-12-05 8:00 PM EST –

PVC will fracture and become brittle when its cold. Doesn't matter if its schedule 80 or 40. UV or sun isn't the problem it's the cold. Might work in Tucson during the summer. And yes I am a Plumber.

Take Care

Pete

box design
I knew someone who made something similar except he made a box shape with bars going parralell with the truck. Stability issues were solved and no drilling. As far as the durability… I’ve made a cart out of PVC similar to the paddleboy designs and its lasted a few years with no signs of wear.

Scott

I don’t like the single attachment point
The single U bolt per leg will tend to act like a pivot point. It provides very little restraint against the racks “tipping” foreward or backward. Great big lever arm from the top.

Figure out how to add a second attachment to the truck down lower, or add some front-to-back runners to keep things lined up.

I’d cap the open ends to keep water and critters out.

Do an extra good job on the joints!

– Last Updated: Aug-13-05 7:01 AM EST –

There was a PVC rack out of large pipe like yours in an A frame style at the Kruger shop. Double legs with three boats on each side. It stood for a couple years. One day we were standing out in the yard and the thing suddenly collapsed.

One big difference is this one did not move so had minimal stress on it. Yours will be moving a lot so it needs to be much better.

Good Luck.

>:^)

Mick