Pymatuning Missing Canoeists

Sorry for your loss
It must be very hard. It also sounds as though the information you received from local authorities or whatever must have been disappointing in some fashion. I don’t know how things unfolded at there, but it must have greatly compounded the difficulty for you.

If you read what I wrote, you would see
that Greenville PA is NOT my home town.

I agree with you that this thread might be better off on the Paddler Discussion board, but all of you guys say that I’m not supposed to point that out.

“Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.”

Does this mean you aren’t going to
do it anymore? We’re gonna hold you to that :wink:

Sorry, your wife’s family’s hometown.

I think Emerson said “a FOOLISH consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds”

No, it doesn’t. Paddling.net will be
a better place when people make proper use of the discussion board and stop crowding the advice board with stuff that no one in his right mind would want to archive.

g2d is the hobgoblin of little BBs NM

Does Stockholm
award a Nobel Prize for that?

sorry
for your loss!! words cannot express…

Heartless
I grew up next door to Jay’s grandparents and have been friends with him my entire life. To search his name and find such heartless, unruly comments is disturbing. One wonders how it would feel if it were any of your family members how some of you would react. That day was a tragedy and should be treated respectfully for both of the victims families sakes. Jay was a wonderful kid and he will be missed. Sorry for your loss Jessica and my prayers are with your family.

Just a question

– Last Updated: Apr-26-07 8:01 AM EST –

Content edited out. I was wondering about the local response and don't want to take out other posts, but it appears that this question is without answer.

I kinda wonder too
Actually, a bit more. Several things in these posts catch my attention - and just don’t read right. I guess I’m just a suspicious cold hearted SOB.

Such losses are indeed tragic. That goes without saying. Questions and speculation from outsiders is natural though. If he were my Brother, I’d still understand that, and would not be spending time posting my displeasure about such comments on some insignificant paddling forum. But that’s me.

Regardless of what you may think,
not that it matters to the family, Ms. Raubenstrauch is the real deal:

http://tinyurl.com/347ag4

The real deal

– Last Updated: Apr-26-07 11:47 AM EST –

Of course SHE is real - but that doesn't automatically mean the post is. Interesting how you offer up evidence to defend something no one questioned....

To be clear, I'm not saying the post is not 100% as advertised - I'm simply not assuming it is. If I'm the ONLY one who even considers some posts here might not be genuine - I can live with that.

Like I said I'm a suspicious SOB, but I mean no disrespect.

Why do people post these threads?

– Last Updated: Apr-26-07 12:10 PM EST –

I see no good reason for people to immediately post about every water related death on these boards. Do you ghouls scour the net daily for these incidents?

This is no place for active discussion while events are unfolding (leave it to the professionals/volunteers/family), and no place for a memorial service/tribute for people we are unlikely to have known.

Anything posted here will rightly be looked at in terms of "lessons learned" - including hypothetical spin-offs that do not reflect actual events. This is a POSITIVE thing for the paddling community, but should occur later.

Family/friends of the victims will not likely understand this sort of discussion. They naturally take offense. This can be avoided or at least minimized by not immediately jumping on these stories. The discussions are not the problem. Having them while search efforts and memorial services are in process is.

Better if people stop posting these incidents - at least until later when all that can be known is known - and then only IF there is something to share/learn from it that may prevent other deaths.

At the very least, stop cutting and pasting news stories and just post the links to them. Names can be omitted in most cases too - as we don't need that info to learn from the events.

Something good could come of this
When I began paddling 4 years ago, I knew nothing at all about water safety. It was the hard-hearted stance of these kinds of posts that most assuredly saved my life more than once.